• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE: 2010-07-29 serious questions for engine builders

I would also look into getting your crankshaft, flywheel, clutch and pistons balanced. Since you are likely to use different ,new and used parts it could really save you on bearing wear etc.

Otherwise i agree on deciding the use and max revs first. Some of the parts are a bit overkill, but won't hurt if you decide to upgrade in the future.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jochem,

Thank you for your comments. And thanks to all of the other fine members of the FAQ that helped me by posting in this thread, sending me off-line emails, and having lengthy telephone or in-person conversations with me. Your time, efforts, knowledge and patience are very much appreciated.

I think I've wrapped my head around the variables, and am researching my options, including parts vendors, machine shops, assembly technicians, and my project timeframe. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm headed on vacation early next week and won't be able to get much done for the next two weeks. I'll hopefully drop off the block and crank with a local machinist this weekend so that they can start working their magic.

I'm undecided whether I should use my e21 head, as it appears that the preference is to use an e12. I also have a very good 121 head, though I get the impression that 121's are not held in favor by the tuning community. If anyone's holding onto a good e12 head, I may be in the market.

Once I get the full specs on the head, crank and block, I'll source the remaining parts, get the bottom end balanced, and get the motor assembled. I'm targeting mid-July, assuming I can get the parts and machining work done by then. I'd like to have the car on the road in late July, and plan to spend the rest of the summer giving it a thorough shakedown. When I return from vacation I'll start a project blog and post a gazillion photos that I've taken of the process thus far.

Again, many thanks to everyone. Your assistance has been immensely helpful, and your generosity with your time quite awe-inspiring. I will pay forward all that I can.

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• 2 months later...

Grice:

I just joined this thread and you have received great, appropriate information from differing sources all trying to guide you through the basic decision: What do you want to do with your car? Your answers will result in compromises, as the only winning race car is one that is prepared for the track and they arrive in enclosed trailers, not driven on the street (except for that illicit late night quick test, right Marshall?

I have owned a Street 1971 BMW 2002 for 39 years! Rebuilt or replaced engines three times the last one built by Bruce Shelton, a fellow racer, but the replaced engine, built in 1983 probably had 15,000 miles on it and was strong.

Metric Mechanic head, .020 piano topped pistons, 45mm Webers, Stahl 1 5/8" headers, oem Turbo exhaust, coilovers, Jag XJ6 calipers, 5 speed, lsd rear, Real

Alpina 15x6&7" rims, Dietel (Alpina flares) special seats, relays, fuel pump in rear with aeroquip line, 320 radiator, elec fan, M3 starter, lightened 215mm flywheel, baffled sump, single timing chain with Metric Mechanic "variable" cam. This WORKS! and easy if amortized over 40 years,

Perfectly for street. Since Marshall and I both instruct and race, the next step is buy a prepared rac car, like I did frm Ray Korman. Good Luck Today!

1971 BMW 2002 Alpina-Spec

1983 BMW 323 SCCA race car, radical setup by Korman

1985 BMW M635, white

1986 BMW M635, black