• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M42 engine conversion

Hey guys, I was offered a free M42 engine, tranny, driveshaft, and harness/computer! I also have a Verona 74 2002A with no engine, or tranny. I think I might have a match made in heaven, but I have not found a load of info on the swap. I searched the forum, but did not find anything. Any of you FAQ gurus got any leads, or pointers?

Take it and see what you can do.

The M42 is a cool little motor. It's not the most popular

because it's only an incremental gain- but since you have all the parts,

your starting costs will be low.

I like it in the 318 just fine.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yep,..Same here

I have a complete 1991 M42 318is car ready to for the conversion.

Just picked up a 74 Poloris auto for the transplant .....Keep us posted

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Oh, hey, and if you want more power when you're done,

do some research on superchargers for the m42-

Grassroots Motorsports did a conversion of an E30

years ago, and if you can make the room, that WOULD really

wake the car up...

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Oh, hey, and if you want more power when you're done,

do some research on superchargers for the m42-

Grassroots Motorsports did a conversion of an E30

years ago, and if you can make the room, that WOULD really

wake the car up...

fwiw,

t

Downing Atlanta used to make a supercharger for the M42 in the E36. The e30 M42 lacks a knock sensor which a critical component in a supercharged motor. (Or turbocharged for that matter.)

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

errr, the early 318 m42 actually has 2 knock sensors in pre- OBD-II

configuration... I thought the 1- year- only E30 318i had the same

M1.7 management system.

check out how low and far back this Dutch guy has mounted his:

yup, isn't that purty? I think aesthetically it's a win, even if that's the only

advantage!

Wow- just looked- yeah, the M42's only rated at 100bhp. Sadly, the M50

number says 110, which... can't... be... right. This is from Bentley.

t

Those numbers are both incorrect. The M42 as installed in E30's produces 138hp and E36 versions produce 140hp. Both the Vanos and fixed cam versions of the M50 produce 189hp. These numbers are from BMW factory training literature released when these engines were current. Knock sensor installation would be a snap on an E30 based M42 as the bosses are already cast into the block. It would, however require the use of an E36 wiring harness (cumbersome) and DME or aftermarket engine management system.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I believe FAQ board member AndyS's wife's '02 has an M42 engine w/ automatic transmission, A/C, electric windows, a very nice cup holder, etc. etc ;o) It is her daily driver out in NW Arkansas. Greg LaValle of LaValle Import Restorations in Greensboro, NC did the conversion for Andy several years ago. I remember seeing the car in LaValle's shop just before it was finished. Nice car. Give Andy a shout and ask him about the details.

The older I get the better I was!

I believe FAQ board member AndyS's wife's '02 has an M42 engine w/ automatic transmission, A/C, electric windows, a very nice cup holder, etc. etc ;o) It is her daily driver out in NW Arkansas. Greg LaValle of LaValle Import Restorations in Greensboro, NC did the conversion for Andy several years ago. I remember seeing the car in LaValle's shop just before it was finished. Nice car. Give Andy a shout and ask him about the details.

he is planing to do a m42 swap, but not yet...

if it where me i would rather soup up the M10 with efi and leave the m42 alone. much easier and less expensive imho.

9:1, cam headers and properly tuned efi can get into the 130hp ballpark easy, with probably much more torque than a m42 (non vanos type of course)

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel