• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures of my 70 1600 from today at work!

ryansti

Looks great. I love the trailer hitch.

Needs swaybars like whoa. I sure hope you keep the appearance stock - they are only original once.

By the way, Ben (eastside), I am buying those 5" tii steelies from Larry in Broad Ripple.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Needs swaybars like whoa. I sure hope you keep the appearance stock - they are only original once.

By the way, Ben (eastside), I am buying those 5" tii steelies from Larry in Broad Ripple.

So will swaybars bolt right on? Or do 1600's not have the holes to bolt them to?

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

So will swaybars bolt right on? Or do 1600's not have the holes to bolt them to?

Ben? Care to comment?

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Bizarrely I have just today finished a refresh on my 1600-2's front suspension. ARB mounting holes are all there and I had a Tii bar doing nothing so I bolted it up. Feels very weird, Tii like, and has lost the delicate feel of an early car. Have only done a quick drive so will give her a proper test, but I think it's too much. I've got a stock 02 bar to try somewhere too, but I might just go back to happily rolling aorund the corners.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

.... ARB mounting holes are all there and I had a Tii bar doing nothing so I bolted it up. Feels very weird, Tii like, and has lost the delicate feel of an early car. Have only done a quick drive so will give her a proper test, but I think it's too much. I've got a stock 02 bar to try somewhere too, but I might just go back to happily rolling aorund the corners.

Aren't Tii bars the same as 2002? I believe so.. at least in the US. (wince)

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I think you're right, but I'm sure I have a skinnier, slightly different shaped bar knocking about from my 2002 Touring. Neither source cars had air-con and I'm 90 percent sure both are BMW parts not aftermarket. I'll investigate - probably just my eyes.

I think you're right, but I'm sure I have a skinnier, slightly different shaped bar knocking about from my 2002 Touring. Neither source cars had air-con and I'm 90 percent sure both are BMW parts not aftermarket. I'll investigate - probably just my eyes.

Just dug out my other bar - yep, different shape slightly and just over 1mm thicker (no, not with the paint). Realoem have the Touring, saloon and Tii as all having the same bar, with only the turbo having a different part number. Guess I should start another thread or save some cats (but I'm a dog person).

Very nice, is this the one that waas on craigslist for sale? I was almost tempted to go look at it but I have a full stable. Congratulations.

Yea thats the one. He was asking $3900 and I got it for $3000. Once I saw how clean it was under the hood I wanted it bad lol then after driving it and finding out it had a five speed I was sold! Right after I paid a car rolled up with another group of people coming to look at it.

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

Bizarrely I have just today finished a refresh on my 1600-2's front suspension. ARB mounting holes are all there and I had a Tii bar doing nothing so I bolted it up. Feels very weird, Tii like, and has lost the delicate feel of an early car. Have only done a quick drive so will give her a proper test, but I think it's too much. I've got a stock 02 bar to try somewhere too, but I might just go back to happily rolling aorund the corners.

I take that all back - just did 60kms of mountain roads and I'm completely sold - trade off between loosing the low speed ride and bump absorbtion is well worth the planted feel and cornering improvement. Now just have the urge for a full Ti spec.

When I first got mine I had a whole plan on what I was going to change and as money didn't allow any of it I began to appreciate the car as it is. I really like the look of the stock 2002 colors, especially the unique ones. Even last fall I was all over the idea of getting a set of RB's in 15" but now I've just come to love the 13's I have...and started collecting more sets of 13's...

Go crazy with the suspension and brakes, but keep it looking stock from the outside. I'd usually say the motor as well, but that thing is just so clean. I've got plenty of mods planned for my car but none of them will be irreversible and all one's you can see use BMW parts(like the 635csi rear seat) to keep it looking in kind. These cars are getting harder to find in such good condition and you got an incredible deal on that car!

I've got a second one that's getting the whole treatment being converted into a track car, but with the amount of bondo and rust it has it's not exactly a prize car to begin with.