• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi all,

I'm going to be pulling engines (but not trannies) out of my 02 and my 320, and I'm still tracking down an engine hoist. Question is this:

Is it a ton more work to drop the subframes and engines together? lifting the cars instead of lifting the engines out the top. I've seen this done when people are replacing the entire subframe and tranny, but not when just switching out blocks. Wondering which is going to be the bigger headache?

Going outside right now to start the 02 teardown, but thought I'd put the question out into webbernet land to see what y'all have to say.

Oh - also - if anyone in the bay area has an engine hoist or stand to lend for a while, that'd be awesomely fantastic.

Lemme know.

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

gearbox out the bottom first

lift motor up and out second

safer, less weight, easier than having asortment of ACME

lifts, dollies, hanging devices, supports

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Are you reconnecting the transmission?

Do you have to remove the hood for anything else?

So if you go out of the top and you have to reconnect the transmission and align the hood, let me know how that goes.

Out the bottom is 20 bolts, hang the calipers, disconnect the brake lines and it is out.

Strut bearings - 6 bolts

Sub-frame - 6 bolts

Transmission support - 2 bolts

Guibo - 6 or 8 bolts

Plus the brake lines

plus all the electrical and plumbing you do either way.

The two biggest drawbacks for me to come out of the top is the hood alignment and connecting the transmission to the motor, I had miserable experiences with both.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Well if you decide to go out the top stop by harbor frieght and get an engine tilty thingy. Invaluable when putting motors in and out from the top. I generally don't reccomend HF for anything you're going to use more than just occasionally, but the one I got there has been great, even used it on a 351 windsor into a '60 cougar drop top.

BD

The two biggest drawbacks for me to come out of the top is the hood alignment and connecting the transmission to the motor, I had miserable experiences with both.

Bill, you (as usual) are the voice of reason. You present a very logical case for going out the bottom.... However...

I have to dis/and/re-connect the trannies anyway, so I save nothing there. And with the motor free of everything, from the tranny to the dizzy to the fan, it's looking like I can probably get it out the top without even taking off the hood. Or at the most, I'll just have to unbolt the supports and open it to vertical (supporting it rock-solid, of course!)

So, I guess it looks like I'm coming out the top... Especially since I got a guy to lend me a hoist.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm sure I'll be on here repeatedly like an annoying fly buzzing in the window during this swap...

Cheers,

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

adam, i have a hoist and engine leveler. i'm in tiburon. i'm nearing an engine tranny install and would be happy to trade help.

lemme know.

jerryallsmanATyahooDOTcom

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

adam, i have a hoist and engine leveler. i'm in tiburon. i'm nearing an engine tranny install and would be happy to trade help.

lemme know.

jerryallsmanATyahooDOTcom

Hellz YEAH! I'll be in touch soon Jerry. I think I've also got your cell number from when you got that fender from me.

Cheers,

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

Last two times I have changed engines in the ol blue car, I have snatched it out the top from the side Pull the right side wheel and put a jackstand under there so the hoist can slip into position Fan off and radiator out too. And out she comes Alignment pins made from cutting the heads off two bolts on the dowel points on the block make going back in a snap as suggested Wont tell you how fast I changed the motor in this shot, but haven't scratched the paint so far :) Done it on several cars too, including pulling the engine out of Scott's awesome touring

Photobucket

HTH

I think Mike did that on his lunch hour. Seriously!

You guys are studs. I am in awe.

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

Out the bottom is 20 bolts, hang the calipers, disconnect the brake lines and it is out.

and the steering box, don't forget.

I find those to suck unequivocally.

Even on a parts car I don't care aboot!

It is so unbelievably easier to put a transmission onto a motor

when it's not in a car it's not funny.

If you come out the top, leave the trans on the engine

but pull the dizzy.

I have never had trouble with the hood-

but mark the 4 attachment points with a sharpie

so you've got a good starting place.

fwiw.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

done it out the top a few times now without the tranny and with the hood off. pretty easy, but getting the tranny on sucks afterwards.

no problem getting enough angle from the top to take out and put in both together?

how about an s14? can both come out the top together?

2xM3