• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust in seam: what to do?

flipper

While looking for something else in the trunk of my 02 yesterday, I came across this rust in a seam that looks more like rot. Damn! Anyway, I'm wondering what to do about it (that I can do on my own, hopefully) and how critical the location is. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

post-17900-13667626025843_thumb.jpg

post-17900-13667626026957_thumb.jpg

post-17900-136676260279_thumb.jpg

you'll need a small putty knife and light hammer to chip away at the flexible seam sealer. chances are it's delaminated from the rusty area anyway.

treat it soon or it will creep up the wheel well just like a car i'm dealing with at the moment. at that point, the only cure is to cut out the cancer and weld in a patch...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

you'll need a small putty knife and light hammer to chip away at the flexible seam sealer. chances are it's delaminated from the rusty area anyway.

treat it soon or it will creep up the wheel well just like a car i'm dealing with at the moment. at that point, the only cure is to cut out the cancer and weld in a patch...

Removing the fuel tank sounds like something I could really screw up, so I'm going to try to avoid that, if I can.

As to Jerry's idea: has anyone seen more detailed and explicit directions for what he's saying to do, like a step by step or a blow by blow?

thanks!

If I am am viewing your photos correctly, the rust is in the seam between the trunk floor and the fender well. This seam also extends along the rear quarter panel. I used a putty knife, utility knife and a chisel to work the seam sealer (which is semi-soft) out of the cavity between the panels. Believe it or not this is the only bond between the truck floor and quarter panel--nothing is welded (on my '71 at least). I would not recommend a hammer since you might end up distorting and denting the outside of the quarter panel. Just keep your putty knife and chisel sharp. The cavity is about 1/2" wide and about 1" deep and you will hopefully find that the rust isn't as bad as it looks.

I used a lot of rust treatment with wire brushing, an expoxy primer, and a premium polyurethane seal sealer (Wurth), to fix the seam. The junction where the trunk floor meets the lower section of the rear wheel arch (of the quarter panel) is the most vulnerable area.

The gas tank seam is also notorious for rusting since the factory used a foam sealer that attracted water. This would be a good time for you to remove the tank (only 5 or 6 screws, plus fuel and electrical connections) and treat the truck floor as well. This will give you easier access in removing the body panel seam sealers . Also inspect the seam where the two gas tank sections are welded together along the flange. Good luck, I can easily think of more diificult projects.--Jim

I recently repaired an area close to this, where the rear quarter panel connects to the gas tank pan and into the wheel inner and outer arch. I would venture to say this is likely one of those "do nothing with it", or go ahead and pull the tank out to really see what you are in to.

The tank is not that hard to remove, I would suggest running it to near empty to reduce the weight. There are 4 tiny bolts that attach the filler neck to the body, the obvious hoses and then, I believe, 4-5 bolts that hold the tank to the trunk floor. Once unbolted I put a long block of wood under it and used a floor jack to get it started, then I just lifted it out and set it aside.

I don't think you will be able to really know the extent of the work required with the tank in place.

post-17900-13667626045649_thumb.jpg

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride