• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planning our Euro trip- FAQers recommendations wanted

SteveJ

I have found that FAQers have the best travel recommendations, regardless of the destination or desires. I've already got a few tips (Thanks Michael and Curt!), but am always open to more.

We (Me, my wife, 17yo son and his friend) will be in Paris June 30 to July 4, then renting a car and going up to Bruges/Ghent/Brussels. I'd like to see some of the cycling sights like the cobbles, Roubaix, and a stage or two of the Tour. We leave out of Geneva on July 14th. That leaves us 8 days or so to explore.

Our focus will probably be: chocolate, beer, food, chocolate, historic villages, food, chocolate, etc... You get the idea. I figure if I can keep enough chocolate and wine and food going into my family, that they will be more open to visiting the sights I want to see.

So, what are the top "Must See/Do/Eat/Drink" items on the FAQers lists?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

See the catacombs beneath Paris, very cool.

Check out Ille St. Louis, one of two large islands in the Seine, and have ice cream at Berthillon, 31 Rue Saint-Louis en I'lle, best ice cream. If there is a line at Berthillon(usually there is), most of the restuarants on that street sell their ice cream from little walk-up windows.

Also check out Cacao et Chocolat, one of the best chocolate shops in Paris, 63 Rue Saint-Louis en I'lle, on the same street as Berthillon, only closer to Notre Dame.

Enjoy, you visit to Paris and Europe.

Chris C.

The Schlumpf Museum as you'll be driving by if you're driving from Belgium to Switzerland . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9_de_l%E2%80%99Automobile

http://www.europeancarweb.com/museums/0205ec_schlumpf_collection/index.html

http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/

http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/544-background_to_the_schlumpf_collection/

Zoom out to see how close it is to the Swiss border . . .

Google maps of the location

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I was leaning towards a railpass, but we did the math and for 4 people, the rental car ends up cheaper. Especially having to deal with luggage.

The extent of my French includes Yes, No, Please, and Thank You. (I know when I was in Japan, any attempt at my limited Japanese was met with appreciation. We'll see how Europe goes.)

Mercy Buckets!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Just a thought. Again. If you have never been to europe the mode of personal transport is very different. Rail even for four maybe more but convience is superb.Remember fuel is in liters and is not cheap. Think european. Forward excess baggage to departure site. Take 3-4 days clothes and wash locally. Remember your not in kansas. The euro is low but rail and public transit is unlike anything here. (very efficent)On your next trip check out northern italy. Remember Paris is very,very expensive and to repeat a often quoted opinion. I dont think the french like americans.

and like people everywhere, they just don't like tourists any more than we do. I lived in a suburb of Paris, Maisons-Laffitte for about five months, and I didn't speak one word of Frog and everyone spoke English to me as I wasn't a tourist. The Chateau pictured here was in M-L, and I'd shoot pics of cars on the grounds at dusk (which was after 10pm Paris time) and one night I went to leave and found everyone gone and that the gates were shut for me to get out of there. I was freaked and then found that they didn't latch the padlock just so I could let myself out.

The French are great, but don't forget they love to heatedly argue about everything and anything.

Chateau-de-maison-lafitte.jpg

We've been to Paris and France six times, and never have had a bad encounter, mostly the rude and obnoxious people we encounter abroad are american tourist.

Chris C.

Steve, you and your family will have a blast, you'll have fun toodling along the french countryside. Make sure some water bottles from the tour stages.

Enjoy.

Chris C.

I'll be heading here in week 32:

MUSEUM OF THE BATTLE OF NORMANDY

BAYEUX

This museum originally opened many years under the guidance of Jean-Pierre Benamou, a local author and historian, and covered the fighting in Normandy from D Day through to Falaise. This museum closed in 2005 and M. Benamou moved his collection out and hopes to re-open in a new location soon.

The new museum follows a 'modern' approach and now very much focuses on the role of the Americans in the liberation of Normandy. The museum was still under development when I visited in August 2006, but I must say I was disappointed compared to what was there; but it would nevertheless be a useful visit if this was your first time in Normandy.

Opening times are 0930 - 1830 (up to 30th September) and then 1000 - 1230 and 1400 - 1800 between 1st October and 30th April.

Admission in 2006 was 6.5€ for adults, students/children 10+ was 3€ and children under 10 go free. The museum is part of the Museum Pass scheme.

Contact details are:

Musée Mémorial de la Bataille de Normandie

Boulevard Fabian Ware

14400 Bayeux

Tel: 02 31 51 46 90. Fax: 02 31 51 46 91.

Email: museebataille@mairie-bayeux.fr

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin