• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i diff flange for 2002

socalduce

You can buy a set of re-drilled flanges and spacers from Dave Varco or Ireland Engineering. Most of the e21 diffs had flanges that were more narrow than the ones on the stock 2002 diffs so you'll trash your C/V joints without the spacers.

Another option is to use the flanges from your old diff. You'll just have to take them to a machine shop and have a groove machined in them to match the 320 flanges. The groove holds them in place. The 2002 version has the groove in then end is held in place with a clip. The groove on the 320 version is located further out toward the output flange and doesn't require clips. Spacers are not required with this version either. This will cost you about $60 vs. $125 for redrills and spacers.

Below are some links to help you out. The first is a tech article and the second is an Ebay link to a set being sold by Dave at Aardvark Racing.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/documents/bmw-differentials.pdf

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-1600-1802-LSD-Axle-Conversion-Spacer-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53dded9395QQitemZ360205620117QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think I know what he's trying to do here. He wants to avoid having his flanges redrilled and or changing the CV's. With the early 320i diff flanges all you need is the bolts and spacers. Early and late 320i and 320is flanges are exactly the same except for the bolt pattern. The 2002 CV's have the same bolt pattern as the EARLY 320i diff flanges. The guys at IE have everything he needs for sure but they charge an arm and a leg! If he buys the flanges from me, all he'll need is the spacers and he's all set. I was going to use them myself but went another rout.

Rocco

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!