• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail light rebuild gone VERY WRONG.

I just wanted to remove the dust residue for reflective tape...

I got new tail light lens gaskets in trade and In an effort to eradicate exhaust fumes in the trunk, I went to install them today.

bc83f34f.jpg

661e0225.jpg

All was well until I strayed into the reflector and the project expanded into a full cleaning and reflector redo.

b421b363.jpg

af3aeac7.jpg

Once I had dusted the bulb housings out with a tooth brush and in an effort to promote adhesion, I reached for the first cleaner on the shelf..

I lightly sprayed brake cleaner into the bottom cavity and wiped it out with a paper towel. As I finished I heard the sound of something small hitting the trunk board and looked in to find the piece of the housing that held in the center bulb contact lying there...? I know I didn't hit it hard while cleaning..?! I looked at the front again, and there was a crack in the back by the bulb socket! WTF?

At a loss, and with a bulb that wouldn't stay in, I grabbed my spare to swap in.

I brushed it clean, and of course, sprayed it to get the residue. With in seconds I had another split reflector!! It was so subtle that I wasn't sure what had just happened..

So here, everyone. Let this video test of my suspicion be a damn lesson.

Oh, and I need a right side reflector with good bulb sockets!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

YDS ?! you knocking out the clear lens that

puts light into the trunk at night when the lights are on

and to do a proper job - you need to remove the whole

assembly from the body. remove the bulbs, degrease,

clean the metal bulb sockets, and paint the 'reflector' either

white or chrome. Now order the thick body-to-reflector seal

and reassemble with no water leaks.

white paint on the reflector, with new lens makes it VERYBRITE!

MY02REARMUDFLAPS.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

YDS ?! you knocking out the clear lens that

puts light into the trunk at night when the lights are on

YDS? What Does that mean?! And what Ithe crap are you talking about? Did you copy and paste this?!

I was just looking to plop a strip of tape in there on the fly... I thought I was simply replacing the gasket material..

-Sorry. I'm very irritated about this right now.

(O=o00o=O)

Project creep, even with tail light rebuilds - that happened to me also. I had one bulb that kept failing on the driver's side. That led to dissassembly of both tail lights, cleaning, new gaskets, new bulbs, the need for a better tail light assembly on the driver's side (thanks M. Pugh!), a couple replacement (used) lenses, and finally spraying both tail light assemblies with Chrome aluminum paint. It turned out well in the end.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

These fixtures are getting old and the plastic is degrading... it's not really plastic anymore - they have become very brittle and very vulnerable to heat from the bulbs as well as solvents, including the solvent in any paint you may use. And, except for the left side fixture, they are now NLA from Mobile Tradition, so extra care must now be taken.

This is where our LED conversion offers several advantages over 'rebuilding' the lights (www.2002s.net). The LED arrays produce no heat and they eliminate the need to paint or otherwise refresh the reflectors. A 'rebuild' merely resets the clock for a few years, while our LED conversion totally eliminates the need ever touch the lights again, except for replacement of the Reverse lamp. Something to consider.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Bob,

Our kit retails for $325.00. But I am extending a special introductory price to Forum members of $299.00. This kit is for both taillights. We will also be making a donation to the site for every kit sold.

You need to send an email to: info@2002s.net in order to get the promo code which you input at checkout and this automatically gives you the special price.

While not cheap, neither are the arrays. They are extremely well built and designed to last the life of the car. They use less current, produce no heat, cannot corrode or otherwise fail due to bad gounds, loose bulbs, etc. Plus, they are 4 times brighter than stock and the INSTANT ON capability of the LEDs (esp. the Turn Signals) really makes the car look much cooler too!

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

brake cleaner is for BRAKES....heavy metal objects. it eats everything else, including paint and plastic. and it is much more expensive to use than simple green.

Yeeeeahh. I barely considered what I was using since i just needed a touch. ..But that was all it took.

I loaded it up in the video, out of spite.

(O=o00o=O)

Yep, I can vouch for the plastic falling apart from the combination of age of gas/exhaust fumes. The taillights in my 76 are braking up, they won't hold the terminals right for the wiring anymore. Since it sounds like they are NLA, seems I'll have to get "creative"... or buy a squarie parts car for taillights :(

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)