• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cincinnati to New Orleans

I flew to Cincinnati and bought this 69 1600-2 on Saturday.

First a picture I took before leaving Cincinnati.

102_2138.jpg

400 miles later a belt starts squealing and I pull into the Alabama welcome center. Inspection reveals that the alternator mount bolt had lost it nut. Digging around in one of the parts boxes yields a nut but I've no tools to tighten it. Fortunately the welcome center staff have a crescent wrench and a pair of pliers. A spare e-brake lever makes an excellent pry bar. After tightening things up I stopped a few miles down the road, picked up some basic tools and called it a night.

Day two. Get up at the crack of check-out time and fuel up, me and the car, then hit the road. 32 miles later a pop from under the hood and an alternator light. You guessed it, the fan belt broke. I'm reasonably close to civilization and call a tow truck. Pulled her up on the flat bed and chained her down. Did you cringe when you read chained? Well hold on we haven't gotten to the good part yet. I'm watching the 69 bounce in the rearview as we pull of an exit ramp and then "it" happens. My worst nightmare...the car ROLLED FORWARD into the back of the trucks cab. Have you ever seen a grown man cry?

102_2141.jpg

A couple of hours later after a belt change, police report and offers of cash, too low to even buy the parts necessary to fix the car, I hit the road. All's well until I hit Orleans Parish. 30 miles from home a fan blade shatters flying into the radiator severing the flues from the lower tank.

102_2153.jpg

I may be partially deaf now as the car doesn't have a muffler, just a resonator, but we made it 853 miles mostly in one piece.

Holy Shnikes! I'm sorry to see this. "Possibly" a front bumper would have kept it from bashing in the snout, who knows. Makes me cringe, but I've also had to watch my 68 be winched onto a flatbed when the back end was destroyed by a Chrysler 300.

My Mother-in-laws Z3 had to be towed in recently and I ordered a flat bed, installed the recovery hook in the front bumper, and stopped the driver from using hooks/chains on the rear suspension. I insisted that it was too delicate and he needed to use wheel straps, guess what, he had wheel straps, just too lazy to use them. Keep us posted on the rejuvenation and sorry about your luck.

-=Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

KRAP! Sorry that you had such troubles, Craig! I hope that you can get it all sorted out. I figured it'd be LOUD, based on my test-drive. Did it deliver more power after you tweaked it? Best of luck & Keep us Posted!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Dang. Sorry to hear that, but you made it home in one piece without being stranded. Now you have a great story to tell your kids and grandkids, or anyone else.

You made it home. That's the real story. The other stuff can be easily repaired.

Rest now.

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The shop was able to straighten the nose without replacement. I went and looked at it Friday and it's nice and straight with no filler. It should be headed into the paint booth today or tomorrow. Now if the grilles will just come in. According to the shop the back-order will be filled in October.