• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I removed rear axle nut and flange by hand... huh?

KFunk

Only one spacer under the outside bearing. The same one you took out.

By the way, if you don't have a hydraulic press and even if you do, a great way to put in the new bearings is with a good sized vise. Do them one at a time by first tapping the bearing in with a small hammer just a bit to get it stuck, then hold the control arm upright so that the bearing bore is in between the jaws of the vice. It helps to have an assistant here. One holds the control arm while the other positions a flat metal plate a little bigger than the bearing between the jaw of the vice and the bearing, and then crank the vice closed pressing the bearing into place. Once you have pushed it in as far as you can that way, you can use a piece of the right size pipe or a big socket to sink it in to the bottom of its bore. Repeat on opposite side. I have a hydraulic press but it is almost impossible to position the control arm in it to do this because of its shape. I don't like banging away with hammers either. If you aren't careful you'll damage the bearings that way. The inner seal can be pushed in the same way.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

• 1 year later...

I'll bump this thread instead of creating a new one. I recently swapped out my rear brakes for 320 brakes. The flange on one side slipped right off. Due to this it looks like I'll be swapping out the stubs (and bearings) soon. I'm just curious as to what are people paying for stub axles and flanges? Pelican parts (bmw dealer parts) wants $150 for the stubs and $271 for the flanges, yikes.

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes

That's not completely unheard- of- sometimes they're just a little loose.  Naturally.

What you have to do next is inspect everything carefully for wear- if there's none,

you can bolt it all back together.

But yeah, 3 our of 4 loose ones are worn..

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

^thanks for the info. I did assemble it and have been driving on it like that. his isn't my daily driver but I would really like to replace both axles if one is shot, sort of a "might as well." And I'm also going to do the wheel bearings during that time.

I'm just curious as where people are sourcing theirs and how much they are paying?

- Max

'72 2002

IE SS braided hoses

320i drum brakes