• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

didn't see a welcome thread ..

.. so i figured i would introduce myself here. My first car was about 9 years ago and i had the privilege of acquiring a '76 2002. :)

the problem was, i made crap money at that age and i purchased (without knowing any better) a bimmer that had every single red flag issue possible with these things. learned my lessons, moved onto a couple of other vehicles, and am now looking to get back into an 2002 ..

Come October I'll be selling some camera gear I don't use and dumping that back into a nice-ish model with room for growth. In the meantime, I'll be taking notes and creating the wishlist ..

cheers - michael

(dallas,tx)

Welcome to the extreme madness that comes with '02 ownership. Your story sounds like me with my first car (a rusty VW). Everyone has some bad experiences with cars - it's learning from them that makes you a wiser shopper and smarter owner.

Don't fall for the beauty queen! On-line pictures always look better than in real life. Take another '02 owner along for the inspection. Since it's not their money, they should provide decent advice.

Post here when you find something to buy BEFORE buying it. We are here to help.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Welcome aboard, welcome back to the insane asylum, and best of luck with your purchase. I've bought 2 2002's in the past 12 months, and after driving each of them ONCE, now have one shell, a questionable 5-speed transmission, no motor, an absurd collection of parts, and a vocabulary of profanities and accuracy with throwing wrenches that would shock a ninja with Tourette Syndrome. I've also inhaled enough brake parts cleaner that I frequently write idiotic nonsense about ninjas.

You've come to the right place.

Note: you might want to keep some of your camera equipment so that you can document your experiences, ask detailed questions, and bore the bejesus out of non-believers with photos of reconditioned heater boxes, shortened strut housings and the like.

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

thanks guys! looking around, there seems to be more "community" and a hell of a lot more OEM parts options than I recall from 6ish years ago... or maybe the fact that i was relatively dirt poor put blinders on my face. either way, i'm looking forward to getting another one and making it my daily driver.

the alternative was trying to figure out how to afford a 2010 subaru wrx sti, but i think this route will end up cheaper and be a whole lot more fun.

(not selling all of the gear, just the non-essentials since the luster of photography for hire has waned. now moving on to photography for art's sake)

cheers - michael

Michael: my best advice to you: DON'T GO TO SELECT CLASSICS!!! ( in Dallas ) Make friends with an FAQ person and take them with you when you are looking at '02's for sale. Stay away from SELECT CLASSICS. Dead Serious. If you want to know more about that, do a search.......... :) AND ----- welcome to the '02 sickness.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Welcome!

You'll find this to be a an excellent forum, and pretty informal methinks!

Feel free to post at will (tho you may get a bit of static about using the search function -- I find this one works, sorta: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/60/61/).

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Get in touch with Nick Bristow in Dallas. He has been thru the '02 ringer and is now well versed in what to look for in a car. And besides, he's not as dumb as he looks!

Welcome to the Monkey House!!!

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

Michael,

Welcome!

As '02 guru, Mike Pugh, told me; "2002's are like icebergs, there's a lot that you cannot see, below the surface."

Buy the very best specimen that you can afford.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

• 3 weeks later...

I get dumber by the day!! I had lunch with Michael last week. Super great guy and will be a needed addition to the 02 club(ish)here in Dallas.

He is in the circle of the 02 club here now and will be equally confused as us soon.

Hopefully another 02 to come to MId America next spring and Texas will put a STOMPIN on Arkansas in terms of numbers hahaha

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

heh, yep this is me. too many michael's in the world means I have to get creative with the online usernames. Lunch was fun, and seeing Nick's car only made me more anxious for November to arrive.

Still formulating my mod plan; I went all the way and am now gradually backing away in areas to maximize my initial investment budget. Should be a fun project and looking forward to getting started. :)

• 3 weeks later...