• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Golden Nugget gets a heart transplant...

CutteRug

Hey all,

Been a long time since I've updated any of my projects online.. Been too busy actually doing the work! ;-)

Anyway, here are some photos from the latest on my 75 Golf, affectionately termed "The Nugget" (because I stayed in the Golden Nugget on my way back from Colorado when I bought the car).

Unfortunately, The Nugget has some pretty terminal rust, so I took to patching the car's rockers in the "incorrect" way (i.e., with fiberglass and filler). I've already got my other car (The Can o Worms) that is being properly patched and properly restored. Hence it being a "project" and not a car. I promised myself that The Nugget would remain a car and not turn into another non-driver.

Perhaps, when someday the CoW is on the road, I'll strip down the Nugget and fix all the "wrong" repairs.

But for now - the heart transplant. Poor Nuggie was puking oil and smoking badly, so I picked up a donor car - an 83 320is, with a relatively tight motor, a nice shifting 5-speed, and an LSD (not to mention Recaros).

Of course, now that the motor's actually in the car, there will be the things to deal with to get it running since it's not actually the ideal motor. But oh well. It's a place-holder motor while I get my 2.0's built up slowly.

The 5 speed and LSD will go in The CoW eventually, but this project's goal was (is) to get The Nugget back on the road ASAP. Here's some photos...

Golf%20Ext%201.jpg

The Denver Craigslist photo. Notice the black line under the knee-line trim? That HAD to go. Immediately.

Nugget%20at%20Brisbane%201.jpg

The Nugget at Brisbane. Extensive (but purely cosmetic) repairs to the rocker panels, lower doors, and behind the rear wheels. Also deleted the front reflectors and added some funky Euro signals I had lying around. Currently, Nug's wearing The CoW's 15-inch Alpina Reps, but will probably switch back to the 13-inch Minilite Reps as soon as I refinish them. If you look closely, you'll see that the entire lower portion of the car is yellow primer over body work. :-)

IMG_1462.JPG

The new heart! In need of a clean-up.

IMG_1466.JPG

But looking good on the inside! Looks like it had a recent head overhaul perhaps??

IMG_1469.JPG

Let's give it a little face lift, shall we...

IMG_1472.JPG

Yes, we shall! (again, doing this one all on the cheap - that's just a textured rattle can from the Hardware store. The rebuild will have a wrinkle-finish powdercoated valve cover)

IMG_1476.JPG

Out with the old, in with the new!

IMG_1483.JPG

All the kids... The Vanagon (parts hauler/road-tripper), The Nugget, and the Donor car...

IMG_1485.JPG

Ewwww.

IMG_1487.JPG

ACK!! Double Ewww!

IMG_1495.JPG

Gee, I wonder why it was running so poorly??

IMG_1499.JPG

Could there have been some issues??

IMG_1509.JPG

Mmmmmm, moil anyone?

IMG_1517.JPG

Wait - steering boxes are SILVER??? ;-)

IMG_1513.JPG

One Adampower. It's kind of slow.

More photos to follow soon. The motor is actually in the car now. I just have to clean up the driveway and get rid of the parts car before I can really put the effort into getting it all dialed in and running.

Cheers,

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

looks pretty awesome but why didnt you remove the cam cover to paint it?

No need. The paint job was easy enough to get decent without taking it off, and since I didn't need it perfect, there was no reason to crack the engine and have to use a new gasket.

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

Was nice to meet you at the meet and have a hard time remembering what you had said. Something like "a 10 dollar prostitute with 1000$ shoes". It was pretty funny though.

Talking about those rims and the bondo jobs you were doing .

Anyways, looks great. My engine died and so I have to replace it too. I hope it will be finished soon. I miss driving. I'm definitely going to get a bunch of help but after its done I think I will be a lot more mechanically inclined.

Keep up the good work! Gives me hope

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD