• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15" tire size for e30 318iS

pardon the cross posting, but i expect a somewhat more mature response here than a typical e30 board.

been running 205/60-14 sumitomo htr200's on stock basketweaves and am really satisfied with the performance and fuel economy. they are somewhat sensitive to hydroplaning, which i blame on the 'huge' contact patch and vehicle lightness.

now that i've upgraded to 15" wheels, i'm plexing on size. to retain overall diameter i can go 205/55-15 or 225/50-15. the sumitomos are not available in 205/55, and the general exclaim uhp's, which are my second choice are on 6-8 week backorder.

from experience, i would like to hear what to expect with 225/50-15 sizing. rubbing anywhere? how does that size help/hurt fuel economy? i would think such a larger contact patch would hurt fuel economy, in comparison. and, how about hydroplaning? we had very heavy rains this year in socal, and i found i couldn't exceed 65-70 for fear of skipping over the freeway like a flat rock.

photos of your car with 225/50 would be cool.

thanks,

robert w.

I would think those 15's would have to be 7 inch wide for those 225's. I have seen e30's on 225/50/15s. They look chunky but I'm sure they grip.

Hold out for 205's?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

There looks to be a lot in the 205 55 15. I'd be looking at the Dunlops or the Yokohama's. Maybe the Continentles too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=55&diameter=15&x=80&y=15

John

thanks for your input.

i'm going to stay with 205/55 size, probably with kumho asx's. the yoko's reveiws are scary, and the conti's are already 2 years out of date. no future there.

regards,

robert w.

p.s.- i'll report back

I have 15" Borbet CF wheels with 205/55/15 on my 91 E30 318i, no rubbing issues at all. Wheels and tires are for sale, my girlfriend does not like the looks of them. Tires are Falken Ziex 912, less than 1K on the tires. $400 for the tires and wheels. Believe it or not, she likes bottlecaps better than the Borbet's.

15x7 Borbet CF wheels, ET 25 offset.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

im running 225/50 15 on 15x7 et24 euroweaves (ziex 912)

lowered on eibach pro kit and bilstein sports. Havent driven it yet but plenty of room and ive had exact set ups before without rubbing. I think you lose a little of the 318's light nimble feel with larger tires but there are trade offs for everything

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

im running 225/50 15 on 15x7 et24 euroweaves (ziex 912)

lowered on eibach pro kit and bilstein sports.

Could you possibly get any cooler?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades