• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Addition to the family - Eva

MrNvgtr

I just wanted to share with you my new-to-me 1983 Porsche 911SC Targa. It's still in Sacramenta awaiting transport, but I sealed the deal today once she got a clean bill of health with the mechanic.

Pretty stock and in great shape. I can't wait to enjoy it.

83Targa020.jpg

83Targa027.jpg

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Congrats! Eva is a fine looking SC. Since I'm a German car fan, one of these has been on my wish list for a long time.

ps: If Eva has A/C, hope the system is up to snuff. In my (very) limiited experience, older 911's don't have very good systems.

pps: One of my wife's good friends is named Eva. Great choice of a name.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks. The A/C is one of just a few problems with the car. The good news is it simply needs a recharge to work again. It's R12. I'll attempt to souce some, but if not I'm sure I can just convert it.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Thanks. The A/C is one of just a few problems with the car. The good news is it simply needs a recharge to work again. It's R12. I'll attempt to souce some, but if not I'm sure I can just convert it.

Care to share more pics? Good luck with the R12 A/C. I recall climbing all over/under one particular yellow 911 with a "sniffer" looking for leaks after our shop recharged it on a monthly basis. The front-to-rear lines under the driver's side floor pan were suspect. The owner only put up with the issue for a few months and finally gave up before we even replaced the lines.

Jim Gerock

All I have are a bunch of polished but no frills dealer photos. It's funny, they had it for sale for about 1 day before I got to it, so they are fairly fresh.

83Targa036.jpg

83Targa031.jpg

83Targa027.jpg

83Targa022.jpg

83Targa020.jpg

83Targa017.jpg

83Targa013.jpg

83Targa011.jpg

83Targa009.jpg

83Targa006.jpg

83Targa003.jpg

83Targa053.jpg

83Targa052.jpg

83Targa050.jpg

83Targa049.jpg

83Targa047.jpg

83Targa046.jpg

83Targa045.jpg

83Targa044.jpg

83Targa043.jpg

83Targa042.jpg

83Targa041.jpg

83Targa040.jpg

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Congrats! Love it.

The 3.0 L SC's are great cars. The 915 transmission takes a bit getting used to.

I'm about to gut out my A/C system. It doesn't work, and the original never worked well anyway. I'm going to get one from these guys:

www.rennaire.com

Re-use the front and rear condensers and use the "Pro-cool" for the receiver/drier. New evap and compressor, and new hoses.

32 degrees from the vents with 134 in Texas supposedly. We'll see...

DSC00985-1.jpg

Have Fun.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Good advice. Well since the mechanic said it just needed to be recharged, assuming I can even find R12 or do an R124 conversion, I'll try that first and see if it suits my taste. If not, then that Pro Cooler kit and compressor sound like a good plan.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

I found the mother load of R12 on ebay. Got the oil, hose, and pressure gauge too. I'll just DIY without flushing it first and see how it turns out. According to the mechanic that checked it out, the system is in good shape.

Still waiting on the transporter though. This wait sucks.

By the way, are there any good forums I'm not aware of besides Pelican and Rennlist?

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Pelican is the largest I have found. Wayne Dempsey (owner of Pelican Parts) is pretty good about letting the discussion run pretty free.

I have a buddy that does Rennlist - he likes it a bunch.

I've also visited RennTech (www.renntech.org). Pretty new there - so don't know how good/poor it is.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I have to come clean... my 02 has been out of commission for about 6 weeks and will be for another month so I've had wandering eyes.... been spending some time around rennlist and pelican. Peter Zimmermann posts on renlist quite frequently, he's the guy who wrote the "Used 911 Story". Both sites seem to be pretty friendly.

I'm anxious to hear your review of driving a Porsche with the 915 transmission. Hear it is a love it or hate it affair, would like to see how it compares to our Getrag transmissions.

My friend and mechanic has a '73 911 with a 3.0L swap, it is one bad ass little hot rod!

P.S. I love the ducktail spoilers...

Congrats!

post-2706-13667627607539_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

I have to come clean... my 02 has been out of commission for about 6 weeks and will be for another month so I've had wandering eyes.... been spending some time around rennlist and pelican. Peter Zimmerman posts on renlist quite frequently, he's the guy who wrote the used 911 guide book. Both sites seem to be pretty friendly.

I'm anxious to hear your review of driving a Porsche with the 915 transmission. Hear it is a love it or hate it affair, would like to see how it compares to our Getrag transmissions.

My friend and mechanic has a '73 911 with a 3.0L swap, it is one bad ass little hot rod!

P.S. I love the ducktail spoilers...

Congrats!

Yeah, I have a feeling this car is the beginning of a new chapter. I want to hold onto my 2002 forever, but I think I'm going to end up getting more into old 911's from here out. BMW continues to make crap and I already have my sweet gem of a 2002 for posterity.

I've been lurking on Rennlist and Pelican and Pete's car there is definitely my favorite. It's got the most perfect suspension, wheels, and spoiler combo I've seen.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Aaron -

Thanks for posting that picture - it is a beautiful car. The Fuchs wheels would look nice on my VW ;-).

You are not alone when it comes to dreams of P-car ownership. It's nice to dream of having one, but the experience of driving the late model Porsches is fantastic. I cannot afford a classic Porsche, so save up your money and maybe do a driving school like I did this past year in Leeds, Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park.

FirstdaywithCarrera.jpg

March4and52010011.jpg

BMW's are excellent (M3 & M5), but I was very impressed by the Boxters, Caymans and Carreras (standard and "S" versions) that we were able to drive really hard at the school.

Jim Gerock

You guys need to check out both part 1 and 2 of the Hemmings Sports & Exotic Restoration Profile (part 2 in August issue) detailing a very long project of a red 911 with modified engine with 5-speed tranny.

The owner polished the valve covers, fan and fan surround by hand and then had the parts powder coated clear. He also replaced the dual triple throat Solex carbs with Weber 40's and used a cadmium kit for home plating. Then he had a custom distributor made so he could run dual plugs in each cylinder (dual MSD ignition modules and coils).

Jim Gerock