• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't get brake shoe spring in

norma

I'm putting new shoes in the rear of my 73 but I can't seem to get the danged shoe spring at the bottom behind the backing plate. There are two holes that hold the shoes which I can pop the spring into but when I try to get it behind the backing plate, it pops out. I can't find a FAQ on this. Is there a trick? Does it need to be behind the plate? Help!

take a big straight bit screw driver and put it in the center groove of that spring, and push upwards and in as hard as u can, once the spring catches on the plate, then use the screwdriver to push it down so it sets better. ive had to do this a few times, and that has been my most successful method.

-wes

also, make sure that the spring is in both brake shoes while doing this.

ok, which spring are you talking about? the little one at the top or the big honker at the bottom.

My response is for the spring at the top and I think Wes is talking about the big honker at the bottom.

1-1-06b.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Sorry guys. I was talking about the honker at the bottom. I assume it goes on last. I've tried the screwdriver bit but the spring keeps popping out at either end. Maybe I need a bigger screwdriver. I'm getting a little frustrated. It would be easier to put disks in the rear.

Someone posted a really stupid easy way to that some time ago. Not sure a search would turn it up.

How about putting on little peg in the hole, loop the top thing in place and then try and move the other little peg into its hole. Just thinking.....

Found the old thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,292489/view,previous/sid,8524ca118aaf5dfebfaef0dcb3f23de6/

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

like the guy said in the thread, put one end in a hole, lever the spring middle behind the plate and with your other 2 hands use a large screw driver and vice grips to place the other end of the spring in it's hole. Once you get the move, it takes less than a minute.

i use an old-skool brake tool i bought at Sears. it's essentially a lanky wrench-like tool with a hook on one of the ends. on the end of one arm is a rounded feature that was useful for very old drum brakes (last time i needed something like that i was a teenager working on an old '54 International Harvester; my first vehicle). on the other arm is a flattened end i suppose can be used as a pry tool.

to install the W-spring, i use it like a wrench with the hook.

place one end of the spring in its hole.

install the midsection behind the plate.

use the hooked brake tool to pull the remaining spring end up and onto the brakeshoe surface then disengage the springwrench.

reset the springwrench, one arm upon the brake pad; the other hooked arm upon the spring end. at that point you'll have the leverage needed to pull it into its rightful spot.

a 5 minute effort at most.

the brake tool is still available at Sears and probably your favorite autoparts emporium. worth the $10-20 price.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Well - there is a tool that helps

Brakespringpuller.jpg

I do not see why that spring has to be behind.

1-1-06b.jpg

The upper spring needs to be behind the shoes so that it will pull (pivot) the shoes toward the backing plate.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Here is a page from the blue manual. Click on the pictures, then click on them again to magnify. I hope this all works for you the way it works on my computer.

post-14128-13667627349876_thumb.jpg

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

All good ideas. Right now I've got the W spring ends clamped in the brake shoe holes and I'm trying the screwdriver trick but it's hard. And I'll try the one hole at a time trick. If worse comes to worse, the tool. Thanks guys. It's probably just a matter of practice, practice like everything else. I'll get it.