• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Digital Cameras...again

JackF

Last December my wife and I decided to get a digital SLR. With assistance from you all, and reviewing the suggested sites, I ended up buying a Canon T1i. All of my Rebel lenses and accessories worked and fit so Canon was an easy choice. I have been an utter failure with this piece of equipment. Both of us found it very cumbersome dealing with the menus, etc. I am an occassional photographer and by the time I learned how to do something, by the time I wanted to do it again, I had to look it up again. Complicated, arcane menus for me. Not the cameras fault. Mine.

Based upon reviews at kenrockwell.com I recently purchased a Canon S90is. I will not buy another camera for a very long time. I can work this camera. It is as advanced a piece of equipment as I can handle.

When visiting my girls in April, the youngest grabbed the T1i and went off with it and had a great time and really enjoyed it. I'm sending it all to her. Another problem solved. Kids are expensive...if you do it this way!

All I can say is that you are not alone when it comes to the fancy features of digital SLR cameras. I've had my Nikon D3000 for 6 months and are still trying to take good pictures with it. Tom Madine gave me some good tips at this year's V@V (THANKS TOM!).

It takes lots of practice to shoot good photos. Thank goodness for digital media that you can delete/edit. The focal point is also kind of tricky to get right, especially for close-up shots. Where you stand is also important.

For example, here are (2) pictures I snapped from the True Friends event in Arkansas (Bo Black's Verona tii with newly installed A4 injection system). Just by walking to the other side of the car, the engine bay details look better (to me). I should have used the fill flash to get better lighting.

Sun was to my left:

pics4242010080.jpg

Sun behind me:

pics4242010081.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Nice pics, Jim! Didn't know that Bo had A4'ed his car. It was already one of my favorite '02'a before that, so now it is probably at the top of the list!

BTW, went to another local car show yesterday. Almost no BMW's (an M6 and an E30 was all), but there was a very nice Puma convertible and a couple other nice VW's. I'll post pics later.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Jim,

Are you shooting in RAW format? I find that the camera deals with bright reds much better in RAW than in JPG. Also I just discovered a polarized lens filter really helps in anything outside. Of course PhotoBucket dumbs down the pictures a bit.

John

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0022_2.jpg

DSC_0145_2.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

John -

I'm not advanced enough to shoot in "RAW" format. The set of (3) accessory lens covers/filters I received as a gift don't fit the Nikon, so I cannot use the polarizing filter.

Harry - thanks for the comments. Those two pics were some of my lower quality ones from that event. I like these better..

pics4242010111.jpg

pics4242010084.jpg

pics4242010086.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have a Canon XSi the school gave me to use for a couple years and I couldnt be happier! It's an amazing camera! I wish I could actually have one... I have a car, not cameras. Beautiful pictures though!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2