• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrafugia Transition 'flying car' gets go-ahead from US

f1reverb

Full story on the $200k machine . . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7860966/Terrafugia-Transition-flying-car-gets-go-ahead-from-US-air-authorities.html

terrafugia1_1668799c.jpg

"The Transition was designed as a "light sport" aircraft, the smallest kind of private aeroplane under FAA classification, with a maximum weight of 1,320lb. But the manufacturers found it impossible to fit the safety features - airbags, crumple zones and roll cage, for instance - that are required for road vehicles into that weight.

Uniquely, however, the FAA has granted the Transition an exemption - allowing it to be classified as a light sport aircraft despite being 120lb over the limit.

Light sport aircraft licences require just 20 hours' flying time, making them much easier to obtain than full private licences.

The two-seater Transition can use its front-wheel drive on roads at ordinary highway speeds, with wings folded, at a respectable 30 miles per gallon. Once it has arrived at a suitable take-off spot - an airport, or adequately sized piece of flat private land - it can fold down the wings, engage its rear-facing propellor, and take off. The folding wings are electrically powered.

Its cruising speed in the air is 115mph, it has a range of 460 miles, and it can carry 450lb. It requires a 1,700-foot (one-third of a mile) runway to take off and can fit in a standard garage. " . . .

Terrafugia is considering locating their mfg. facilities in the Dayton area. They have not committed to building here, but the story keeps showing up in the news. People are skeptical that flying cars are the answer to the region's economic woes.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I wish they would just stop. I wonder what they are going to use for tires? Car tires don't like 60mph sudden starts like aircraft tires.

What do I know?

Want a car? Buy one of these-

IMG_0127.jpg

Want an airplane? Buy one of these-

DSC_0060-1.jpg

JackF, that one has your name on it. I'll take the Turbo on trade....

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

...and here ladies and gentlemen we have true temptation. A Bonanza is, arguably, the ultimate single engine airplane. Full seats, full fuel, baggage...where do you want to go at 180 knots?

the bonanza is a piece of cake for a REAL pilot. My daughter would be thrilled. I on the other hand would be scared half to death and the impact would likely take care of the other half. bonanza's are nicknamed "Dr Killers" because Dr's learn to fly, have the money, buy a very sophisticated Bonanza and do something like JFK jr. the Bonanza is a REAL airplane for a real pilot, like John. How's that saying go, "the laws of aerodynamics are firm and the ground is hard".

Once I get to CA next summer I'm going to finish up on my private. Hell, I have almost 90 hrs. I'm thinking of a PA12, 170, 172, RV9/12. My daughter may want in on it by then. What that means is I will get to buy it and she will get to fly it. If i can go with her...it's a deal. You will learn about that in the future, John.

Maybe can work something out for the 318is and cash.

Maybe can work something out for the 318is and cash.

Oh, Youuuuuuuuuu. Ahhhhhhh youuuuuuu. Hmmmm

Gotta sell the Bonnnana

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades