• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay car caution

jerry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-TII-Sporty-2002-Tii-Excellent-Condition-Collector-No-Reserve-/220629979789?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item335e92528d

this listing is of a car that sold about a month ago for $2000. at that time it was described as being discovered rusting in a neighbourhood driveway. i remember the VIN (2761600).

in the course of 1 month, the description has been dramatically 'enhanced', shall i say?

just be careful. NM/NA.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I guess "enhanced" means the intake runners were switched to the aluminum ones at one point (or vice-versa?).

Check out the last (2) pictures on the ad of the engine bay. One has aluminum, the other has plastic.

Lots of parts replaced and a tune-up? Why is the engine bay so dirty, the coolant hoses so bad and the valve cover leaking. Geez, a can of Gunk Engine Cleaner is cheap.

Buyer beware indeed.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Oh, c'mon Ray! It's in "excellant condition...and in the final stages of restoration"...You can see from the photos that those light body cosmetics will "start at $1400..." and then ALL you have to do is paint it! Can't you see Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde" saying all that with a perky little head cock....We're dealin'....

Almost forgot my favorite...the rare optional two tone seats. I have those too. Silly previous owner told me it was UV fade....

Everyone have a proper and safe 4th. Dave V. in NC

Oh, c'mon Ray! It's in "excellant condition...and in the final stages of restoration"...You can see from the photos that those light body cosmetics will "start at $1400..." and then ALL you have to do is paint it! Can't you see Reese Witherspoon in "Legally Blonde" saying all that with a perky little head cock....We're dealin'....

Almost forgot my favorite...the rare optional two tone seats. I have those too. Silly previous owner told me it was UV fade....

Dave - maybe he was talking about the custom-colored carpeting when he was describing the two-tone interior??.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Was there a pic of those rare seats?

I looked for one for a bit but got increasingly alarmed and then closed the page. :-p

That WON'T buff right out!

Y'all behave down there now!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

his response:

Hi and thanks for your questions on the BMW 2002 Tii. The car actually sold for $2002, not $2200. After I purchased the car, it was discovered that it was in considerably better condition than it was described. The motor and suspension system are practically new and rebuilt. I commenced some work on the rust, but was notified that I had to be deployed, so I realized I could not continue the final restoration of this car. I am therefore reluctantly having to sell it. Overall, apart from cosmetics, this car is actually in great condition. Hope this answers your question, and please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance. Best regards, Geoff

i didn't mention it in my original post, but i am almost certain that the car that sold on ebay had a 'Sahara' paint sticker on it and this car has a 'Chaminox' paint sticker.

i am close enough to the original eBay seller that i would have personally inspected it had it been any other color than Sahara. i just don't enjoy that particular color. had it been listed with the Chaminox sticker i would have at least gone for a look.

point is, there are several things about this car and the current seller that just don't add up.

i suppose this could be verified easily with an inquiry to BMW on 2761600 paint code.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa