• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nomination for the 'most' overpriced 02 replacement part(s)!

jerry

well, i've come to terms with the fact that i shall never own a new set of aluminum grills, nor will i own a new set of beltline trim or lower molding. i can accept that, and i'm intrigued with the idea of self-adhesive trim (no fastener costs, less ingress of corrosive moisture, disposable, replaceable).

i am, however, on first name basis with my local authorized BMW parts dealer, who has provided me with prices that are very competitive with what i've found on the internet. it has cost me for that 'privilege'.

lately, i've discovered that i can seldom walk away from the parts counter with a mere handful of parts without leaving behind at least one Benjamin... such is the world we live in.

But, i think i found the greatest assault to my senses when i was confronted with the cost of the simple rubber/plastic molding that is glued to the rocker trim. we're talking about perhaps a dozen more or less small plastic 'banding'. on a mere cost/weight basis this set has to be the all time price leader (and i saw it on ePay) for around $159/set.

that, my friends, is my nomination for the all time 'most' overpriced 02 replacement part(s).

can anyone beat that???!!!!!

makes me glad i saved all those itty-bitty pieces from the rocker trim. as much as i like the rocker trim, the thought of all the water leaking into my rockers from those darn holes and the difficulty of attaching the trim with the new undersized replacement clips has me dreaming of self-adhesive rocker trim too...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Stupid beltline trim pricing makes me angry. I still have to replace (5) more pieces on my car.

Other peeves:

tii fuel pump

fuel injectors

F&R glass lock/sealing strip and the little cover

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Stupid beltline trim pricing makes me angry. I still have to replace (5) more pieces on my car.

Other peeves:

tii fuel pump

fuel injectors

F&R glass lock/sealing strip and the little cover

Man use the adhesive belttrim it is only 35 bucks and looks even better than original stuff

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Try the dashboard!!!! We have found many ingenious replacements... for things... rocker pannel moulding?? go to a home improvement store and look in the screen door section and there are to or three options for the rubber seals....

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

Heater control valve, heater fan, any body trim parts

i suppose it was the ridiculous price for new heater valve that drove up the asking prices for used ones. used to be an entire used heaterbox would sell for around $20-40, about 4 years ago.

as for heaterbox motor, there is an exact replacement available for the 1980's Porsche that sells for about $40. i discovered that tidbit right here on the FAQ. that makes the four remaining Bosch motors i had sent over from England, a fair bit overpriced. i end up rehabbing used motors anyways, so i haven't had the need to use any of my new ones. they sit on the shelf awaiting that 'garage queen' i'll never build.

i still think i've got everyone beat on the tiny plastic bits, though...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

motors that interchange with the 2002's please. Don't remember that post.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I would have to say the Window/door seals are up there also! The same thing in 320i is 22 dollars or something like that.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 2 months later...