• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft question

I am getting ready to install my 5 speed. I have all the parts gathered. When I bought the 5 speed it came with a front portion of a drive shaft that has the 3 hole flange on it. The trans has the 3 hole also. My current shaft is a 4 hole. Is it a mistake for me to have the 3 hole front portion of the shaft, that came with the tranny, have it shortened and just bolt it to the rear portion of my existing shaft? Or should I keep my current shaft as a unit and have the original front portion shortened, 3 hole flange installed and use that? or does it even matter?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Consensus of opinion is that the 6-hole Guibo has a longer life than the 8-hole.

So, if you have your driveshaft modified with the 3-hole flange part, make sure you get the overall length using the different thickness 6-hole Guibo (as mentioned in the post above).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17