• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I should send IE a damn bill.

It has so much damn potential, but sheeeezus.. When do I stop paying to own this turd?!?!

I'm tired of being on my back aligning it, the realigning it. Removing it. Beating on my car. Reinstalling it. Removing it. Paying to get it welded, reinstalling it. Listening to it bounce into my floor boards.. So tired. It's been a fkng year....

fddd82c7.jpg

61c0c60b.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear you're having such difficulties. If that's IE's SS exhaust - I'd also recommend talking to Jeff.

Nice welding bench ;-) and shop. Also I gotta know more about the old grey racer in the background, when you find the time.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Doesnt seem fair to bash the guys product and not talk to him first about the issues. That may well turn off ALOT of customers. Maybe you got a bad one...and maybe he would replace it and all your welding and adjusting and issues would go away for $30 worth of shipping. Lets see what would this sound like if it was posted..."Damn that IE and its shoddy engine rebuilds! That IE engine just blew up. Did I call jeff? No, I actually bought it from someone else and not Jeff, and who knows what was done to it after Jeff delivered it." Doesnt sound right does it....Call Jeff or deal with it...Oh and thats ONE thing you get from dealing with them directly...customer support.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

fact is the center section does not fit, and i mean its not even close to fitting correctly

ask me how i know, twice, two complete systems on two different cars

i went to a local fab shop and chopped the two center mufflers out and replaced them with a 30" resonator

now it fits

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

Youre not a Douce Euro....I feel ya...just wanted to throw a bit of perspective out there....If I were rebuilding an exhaust system regularly, I'd be venting as well...so aside from fitment...how do you like it?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Nice beautiful welds. I had the IE exhaust and it fit fine - but tight. That is not to say that your problems are not valid. I have had a number of exhausts on my car, and as recently as last week I was back to the muffler shop, and it had been a month since the last visit. (I am running a "custom" one). There doesn't seem to be enough room to adequately design something nice and simple, I am very close to eliminate my spare tire well to get some room for a decent (and quiet) muffler.

FAQ Member # 91

Nice beautiful welds. I had the IE exhaust and it fit fine - but tight. That is not to say that your problems are not valid. I have had a number of exhausts on my car, and as recently as last week I was back to the muffler shop, and it had been a month since the last visit. (I am running a "custom" one). There doesn't seem to be enough room to adequately design something nice and simple, I am very close to eliminate my spare tire well to get some room for a decent (and quiet) muffler.

I have a custom job now, and I think I am getting to the point that the factory Turbo exhaust is sounding VERY good to me...BLUNT has them. More $$ than IE, but I am sure way less than a new exhaust AND eliminating the spare tire well and it'll be fairly quiet with a bit of a rumble.

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

..you know, I bet the old rusted out muffler you removed fit reasonably well and sounded almost as pleasant.

I had a BMW branded Boysen muffler installed on my roundie last fall. It fits well and sounds like a muffler should....quiet!

That's it...I've officially turned into my father.

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

I've had the same problems as stated above(spare it breaking). It just doesn't fit right and bangs on my tranny tunnel like crazy as well as sitting on the sway bar. I do like the sound it makes but it needs work. When I get the chance I'll bust out the welder and set it up right, from now on I'll either build my exhausts myself or pay a local shop to do it.

I don't have an IE (far from it), but I realize these old engines wiggle and break exhausts frequently. Any exhaust is gonna break frequently if there's no give in it anywhere. Modern cars usually have flex joints in them somewhere. Like many others have done, I've recently welded in a cheap little flex pipe up by the header. It's working great so far, and no more loud whacks when the muffler hits the gas tank or spare tire well when its idling rough. I should've went with a flex pipe long ago....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser