• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I should send IE a damn bill.

I don't want to piss on the I.E. campfire here, but...

I have this same setup.

After 3 months, the bracket on the rear muffler came right off. The weld was obviously done too cold and it sheered clean off. Jeff sent me a new one. I was happy for a while...

Then the weld on the first muffler on the resonator sheered, making all kinds of awful noise. Lame. Jeff sent me a new one.

The brackets that come with it are really weak, too. You'll want to invest in some dual bolt exhaust clamps.

The fit on my car is ok. The rear sits sort of "funny" but I've made it work.

The new parts seem to be holding up so far. We'll see. I bought this because its stainless so I thought it would last but so far the life span has been less than expected.

Am I mad? Annoyed, yeah. Jeff made it right in the end but there is clearly an issue with whoever did the welds on my original pieces.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all honesty, there are issues with this exhaust.

If it fit the bill... OK.

But, there are two distinct systems (early and late) and the people at IE do not seem to be able to tell the difference. I was sent the early model unit (despite identifying my car at checkout time) and after endless frustration and copius new additions to my vocabulary, a call to Jeff resulted in:" Yea... they sent you the wrong unit, if it's any consolation, we fired the guy who did it..."

Well, from the numerous similar responses, it seems as if they hired his brother to replace him. In sum, I am underwhelmed.

I then poured salt into the wound and ordered their stainless downpipe.

Again, wouldn't line up and fit. I called Jeff, who told me this was impossible - the pieces were jig-built and therefore HAD to fit. I assured him that it didn't. Apparently questioning my idiot quotient, Jeff then asked if I'd take some pics and send them to him. I did, clearly showing the mis-alignment, and Jeff claimed the pics were an 'optical illusion', but nonetheless was sending a replacement piece. The replacement slipped in like Mr. Happy on Prom night... optical illusion or not.

I still think it's a good system. But, I think a bottle of Aleve should be sent with each order to relieve the buyer of the angst involved in getting this system to fit properly.

I am happy with mine (so far) now that it's in, but getting there was an ordeal in itself.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

.....sorry to hear the same sad story many times.. . . . .

a BMW ' stock ' system is so much happier

and doesn't bite yer arse every few miles

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

For the record guys, the shops you may see in pics aren't mine. They just are people and shops that I am fortunate to have around.. All of the work I have done, whether on my car or parting cars has ben done with only the luxury of an electric impact and your basic hand tools out of this humble garage..

IMG_5317.jpg

As far as this thread goes, it not my first time stating my dissatisfaction. Just the first themed post directly from me..

This from April, 2010..

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339949/highlight,/

I wouldn't post if I thought it were just me. I used to mentally scoff at the guys who knocked the exhaust system in question, because I was determined NOT to succumb to the frustration stemming from the fact, I assumed, that its a four to six piece system, depending. In my case, I started with just the 'trans-back'. Then bought used, from Jeremy at IE, a shorty with the down pipe.. and thats when the real problems began.

I am a very low budget build kinda guy.. With 5 kids and a shaky employment situation spanning the last 20 months. I part cars to pay for what I have purchased, and its hard work. So when I find something "nice" like this, used, I feel fortunate to be able to snatch it up because I could never justify buying it new.. So my frustration stems from the fact that I couldn't make it work, no matter how hard I have tried.. and then it frikkin' brakes, to top it all off!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I have had nothing but great experiences with IE BUTTTTT I did not order their full SS exhaust system, like JR has, because I had read about so many issues people were having with fitment. I would imagine selling a bolt in SS exhaust system for these 02's is pretty tough. Lots of variables like mis-aligned subframes, various headers, 4 speed, 5 speed etc.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

.....sorry to hear the same sad story many times.. . . . .

a BMW ' stock ' system is so much happier

and doesn't bite yer arse every few miles

and is quiet enough to hear the wonderful sound of the engine.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

I'll add my 02c in as well.

I've had two resonators come apart inside, it ends up sounding like a can of marbles. Both times IE came through with a replacement without charge, so I can't say enough how positive the customer service is. I just wish the part was more durable...

The exhaust system DOES fit, there are a few things that I've learned swapping things out.

1) Replace the supplied exhaust clamp between the resonator and the angled pipe that goes over the subframe with a 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust clamp. The constant vibration/movement of the motor would cause this clamp to flex, and therefore hit the subframe.

2) Dump the way too soft hardware (I bent the bolts tightening them!) for the nuts/bolts at the downpipe/resonator. I used grade 10.9 CV joint bolts and with a double-nut them as the vibration would knock them loose and cause the whole system to hit the subframe.

3) With the supplied rubber mounts for the muffler, also order the often forgot about plastic filler pieces and zip tie them in. They sort of lock in place, but I find a well placed zip tie keeps them from falling out. FYI, they restrict the movement of the whole system at the rear to keep it off the spare tire-well without adding to NVH. I use three of them, two on the forward rubber hanger and and one in the rear. This really should be part of the system. See this part -> 10 BASE 2 03/1966 07/1977 18214490157 $5.25

4) Your engine mounts and transmission mounts, as well as the alignment of your drivetrain is critical. How many miles on those engine mounts? Oil soaked? Replace 'em.

I use IE's urethane mounts, and with everything adjusted/in spec I have only a very slight increase in NVH that is noticeable through the rear view mirror.

5) When installing, leave all clamps slightly loose. Tighten up the front downpipe/resonator evenly across all bolts to just hold things in place. Next get the resonator/angle pipe, then tighten up the muffler/angle pipe clamp. The angle pipe should not hit the sway bar or touch the subframe at any point. Also be aware you can FLIP THE CENTER RESONATOR OVER and its IMPOSSIBLE to get the system adjusted. Carefully working with the downpipe/resonator and the middle clamp should gain you clearance off the subframe. Finally when everything is tight, adjust the vibration bracket at the transmission, yes you need to adjust this properly per factory recommendations. The order for this is 1) Loosen up everything 2) tighten up at the Transmission, 2) Bracket 3) Then U clamp on the exhaust.

The gap between the muffler end/angle pipe should be around a thumbs width so it won't rub on the CV joint. Gap between the resonator and the floor is about a index finger's worth on both sides. You should have slightly less then a pinky fingers worth of clearance near the sway bar and subframes. Shake the whole system and look/listen for clearance issues. Note that when things warm up the system will move.... and you may have to adjust it after break in.

Hopefully these notes will help those who are having issues...

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Funny thing is, I picked up a used Ansa stock replacement set from a FAQ'er for the cost of shipping. Its two pieces, DONE. After converting it to center exit by A/B-ing it to the old stock piece, I had it bolted into my daughters '76 and set perfectly in one try. And its been great. Why couldn't they just make a SS version of this one?!

5f4d9531.jpg

66dcfe6a.jpg

08141710.jpg

I just think that maybe they tried to get too clever maybe with the SS set and it back fired. Had I paid full price I would be livid, and wifeless maybe too.. She's been watching the value drain out of the purchase, via the time and $, and thus far has been very graceful about it. She sees my predicament.

And yes, there is now a marble in my resonator. Heard it this morning on the drive in to work.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Guest Anonymous

Eberspächer. What an ugly (succession) of "posts", pretty sure I didn't hear anyone say that this system worked for them. Very annoying I know to have your exhaust system rattling around on your car (I remember the days). Adds insult to injury when you have other stuff rattling around on your 35+ year old car.

Quite honestly that stuff looks like it belongs on a Nissan something with the big old coffee can mufflers. I ended up replacing the center resonator and rear muffler on my 74 tii with OEM Eberspächer tii components. They were expensive then and no doubt more now, but they were WELL MADE and FIT. Lasted nearly 30 years on my car (long enough for me) before I replaced. From a flow standpoint, port a tii cast iron manifold (match to your cylinder head exhaust ports if you can), use a OE tii exhaust system and you will have a great free flowing exhaust system that sounds great. 2002 Turbo works as well although I believe you have to do some fab work with the down pipes +$$$. Hope it works out for all of you, is a bummer to hear it.

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/