• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I should send IE a damn bill.

I wonder what made IE change from what they previously had to the two muffler resonator set-up. What they offered a ways back was a 4 inch round resonator with a 6" round rear muffler (what I currently still have and is perfect in every way for me). All these items are still available through Magnaflow and Dynomax in SS or Aluminized... there's a thread with the details somewhere.

Of course mine was before they made a kit (which is the issue here)... but for a couple hundred the muffler shop kid did a good, and quick, job and I have plenty-o-clearance... even with it being 2". I tend to think IE's resonator setup may be complicating things. It just looks huge... long and heavy... I think my 4" round is only like a 14 or 18" case. I don't see the need for two there. I mean my setup is very quiet... at idle it's about just as quiet as stock with a tad more growl when you step on it.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, my name is TK and I have an stainless IE exhaust.

I've never told anyone this, because I've been too embarrassed, but my exhaust is held up with bailing wire. I got so fuckin fed up trying to adjust it only to have it slip to where it wanted to be in the first place and rub on the axle. So I took some wire and ran that up to hold it in place.

You know how people in therapy have repressed emotional trauma come out during sessions? Well, typing the above response led me to remember this.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,303102/highlight,warped/

IE did come through and ship me a new header, but when you get a nice big box of shiny parts, you'd expect them to be correct.

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Ouch.

I have to say, as an exhaust, it performs well. Its quiet and flows well. If mine stops breaking, I'd be happy. I reckon I can install and adjust one in under 20 minutes now... because I had to tweak it so many damn times cause the clamps are useless.

I think the issue is that whoever is welding the stainless over there isn't doing very strong welds. It seems their goal is to make nice looking welds that don't discolor the stainless. I noticed on my replacements parts, they obviously hit them with more heat because the stainless is discolored but its held up much better (knock on wood).

Maybe when you order stainless steel from IE, you have to ask for it "well done" instead of "medium rare."

I'll chime in once more and I am not here to defend a bad product, but IE doesnt actually make them. They order them from a supplier made to their specs. So in their defense, the supplier goofs on some parts, dont make it to spec, or make some bad welds, then they deal with it. From what I am reading, the system when working works well...it seems its a quality control issue, and maybe some batches have been better than others. Looks ike I will live with my loudish exhaust until I figure out what to do...probably Turbo exhaust, or maybe just replace my center and rear mufflers with new and maybe bigger parts...maybe that will help a bit.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

as nice as it looks when new, and as nice as the exhuast note sounds, no "bolt on"product sold by a company should ever be so hard to install. mine doesnt fit. no matter how many times we have wiggled, angled, shaked, rattled, hammered, twisted, spun, and then some, it never fits right. it either bumps off the floorboards, vibrates on the rear axle, or it sits misaligned and makes some other noise. Or the rubber brackets come loose and the whole rear part of the system is left hanging.

seeing as this post comes up every few weeks, it leaves me even less convinced about the product.

i am not bashing ireland, i am merely giving my personal experiences. i think maybe ireland gets a little too much unconditional love from this board and deserves a little more objective observation.

just my 02 cents

dan.

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

as nice as it looks when new, and as nice as the exhuast note sounds, no "bolt on"product sold by a company should ever be so hard to install. mine doesnt fit. no matter how many times we have wiggled, angled, shaked, rattled, hammered, twisted, spun, and then some, it never fits right. it either bumps off the floorboards, vibrates on the rear axle, or it sits misaligned and makes some other noise. Or the rubber brackets come loose and the whole rear part of the system is left hanging.

seeing as this post comes up every few weeks, it leaves me even less convinced about the product.

i am not bashing ireland, i am merely giving my personal experiences. i think maybe ireland gets a little too much unconditional love from this board and deserves a little more objective observation.

just my 02 cents

dan.

WORD. This guys pickin' up what I'm puttin' down...

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I have, exhausted, my searchable consumer options to find something with 2" i/o that resembles the long Ansa stock style replacement..1M long. So I'm thinking this might be the closest one.. or two, to replace the centers. There are two lengths, the pictured and the listed. - weld them in and weld the cross member portion on as well..

(clickey)

Picture3-1.png

Someday, I may add a flex attachment like KFunk mentioned.. makes total sense.. Because now I am hearing a blown gasket between the header and the DP as well... Grrrrrrrrrrrr. (yes I have a bracket at the trans!)

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Someday, I may add a flex attachment like KFunk mentioned.. makes total sense.. Because now I am hearing a blown gasket between the header and the DP as well... Grrrrrrrrrrrr. (yes I have a bracket at the trans!)

Yeah, my exhaust is actually an old stock system (with cheap header), and I've had many of the same problems you guys are claiming (rubbing on rear subframe, frequent breakage, re-welding needed, etc.) It's gotta be difficult to make any kind of exhaust that'll work on these cars... The flex pipe was like $25 at Autozone, and it seems to have ended my rubbing on the rear subframe, rattling, etc. I'm hesitant to say its fixed everything, since I've only got 300 to 400 miles on it, but I'm hopeful.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I have a cobbled together exhaust. IE header. Ansa center resonator. Stock muffler.

Years ago, I added the IE header. The previous owner of my car had done some kind of crazy, welded together thing. I had to cut out part of it to get the IE header to fit and everything to hang right.

Then - the weld at the front of the resonator broke. I've never liked how the two resonators on the IE system looked, and it cost so much, I ordered the stock system (sorry Steve - I don't think I ordered it from you). I think I ordered it from Bavarian Autosport. I figured it would hang right, and it wasn't that bad (I think the resonator was less than $100).

When I hung the new one, I had to cut about 2" off of the front of it, and get it re-flared to accept the ring gasket. Once I did that - it's been in place ever since and works great.

I think IE makes a good product. I love the header. But - since it is custom, some "tweaking" is required. And - as I wanted an easier assembly - the stock system was definitely the way to go.

Get the stock system and don't look back.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

• 2 weeks later...
outside of the quailty issues, the center piece does not fit, period. the design is wrong.

and the buck stops with IE. it doesn't matter if they're made elsewhere, they're sold as an IE exhaust.

WTF, son? Keeping it stock except for exhaust, tranny, interior, etc., etc.? Please be consistent.

the troll is back

72 2002tii

1988 535is