• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 & 2002 suspension parts interchangeable

DUDOK

I have a 68' 1600 I am rebuilding and picked up a rusted out 75' 02. I am planning to swap the entire drivetrain. However, as I pull the 75' front suspension apart some pieces are damaged more than the 1600s (which has its own damaged subframe). The question is are the suspensions the same or is the 75' better or stronger or can I mix and match in the front? I know the rear is a different story.

Thanks in advance

Tim

'69 1600 M42

'13 500 Abarth

the suspension parts are interchangeable. i'd use the later control arms as they are stronger. don't mix and match those. for some reason the idler arm bushings are different for the early cars but they look to have the same diameters.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

in the front crossmember and brackets at the rear to mount the 75's swaybars. 1600s didn't come with swaybars but I believe they had the slots/brackets for 'em.

And a second on not using the OEM 68 lower front control arms. I was quite surprised as to how much smaller and weaker my '69's were than the later ones I used to replace 'em.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite