• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 02 at the drive-in theatre.... (pics)

KFunk

Yep, we have an awesome, active, clean drive-in theatre here in Southeast Ohio... For $6 you get to see 2 movies. We saw Grown-Ups first, and we left before the sparkly vampire movie started...

http://www.skyviewdrivein.com/

post-461-13667627844032_thumb.jpg

post-461-13667627845784_thumb.jpg

post-461-13667627847616_thumb.jpg

post-461-13667627849252_thumb.jpg

post-461-13667627851009_thumb.jpg

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Yep, we have an awesome, active, clean drive-in theatre here in Southeast Ohio... For $6 you get to see 2 movies. We saw Grown-Ups first, and we left before the sparkly vampire movie started...

This wouldn't be the one at Kanagua (Gallipolis), would it?

No, that one has been closed for several years. We drove past it last weekend, and the weeds/brush are really high... pretty ugly.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

This wouldn't be the one at Kanagua (Gallipolis), would it?

No, that one has been closed for several years. We drove past it last weekend, and the weeds/brush are really high... pretty ugly.

That's a shame. I haven't been past there for a few years, now, but it was active the last time I drove past.

The last time I took an 02 to the D-I was in '71. Two couples. The little hottie that was with me tossed her cookies on the way home........ Had to wash the car that night. Luckily, nothing was inside the car. We remained friends, however, as she was just too smokin' hot not to like :)

Very sadly, she died a few years ago, after a long, difficult battle with cancer.

Sorry to get side-tracked. One of the best things about the 02 is that it is SO highly practical and utilitarian. It's just happy doing whatever you need it to do, be it takin' the family to the drive in, picking up a big load of groceries, or hammering over some twisty, plunging back roads. Heck, it's even content droning along the Lemming Lanes (Interstates) for hours on end.......yuck!

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

Now I need to do the same - we still have a few Drive-In movie theaters around here. We went to see "Toy Story 3" the other night. That was one of the last times I drove our Taurus wagon before it got demolished in a car crash. I may seal the deal on its clone on Monday. They are getting a bit rare around here.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Melody 49 and the Skyborn--right off the end of the runway at Wright-Patterson AFB.

Haven't been to a drive-in in my '02, but did use it for sleeping after a non-stop, all-day/night drive from Dayton to New Hampshire--coulnd't find a motel with a vacancy so I bunked in "Motel 02" for a couple of hours. Actually pretty comfy with the seat reclined and my feet resting atop the pedals.

Versitle cars, those '02s.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The Skyview is particularly nice compared to most, I've heard. On their FB page, people say they come all the way from the west side of Columbus to go to the Skyview in Lancaster, since it's so much nicer than the ones closer to them. The owner is very strict on the rules, so things stay tidy and enjoyable. Cars back up for miles to wait in line to get in, so you gotta get there early.

The 02 is pretty nice with the big flat windshield, and just for the general things that make them more comfortable and 'homey.' I've often taken the miata too, since of course the wide open sky is nice as well combined with its great stereo and headrest speakers. It gets a little chilly though, and attracts more attention.

The 02 strangely doesn't get noticed much at the Skyview. Lancaster is more of a pure mid-western town compared to the hippie college town of Athens where I live. The 02 might get a glance from some guys at the drive-in, but they don't want to ask about it. Some little kids get excited by it, don't know why. The cop directing traffic into the place always asks me what year it is, and tells me about an old bimmer he had a long time ago. Don't think he ever remembers telling me the last time I was there...

Bring a Welder

Guys, you left out the Dixie Drive In. When I was growing up, Cincinnati used to have a dozen Drive Ins, but all of them are gone. The names of so many I can recall: Skyview, Woodlawn, Jolly Roger, Mt. Healthy, Dent, Twin, Oakley, Acme, Ferguson Hills, Starlite, etc. Sad.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Last time I remember going to a drive-in was when my parents took us kids to see a Disney flick. We were in my parent's '69 Ford Country Squire wagon with the hide-away jumpseats ALL the way in the back (Chrysler "stow-n-go" minivan didn't have anything on the '69 Ford). Too bad my sister's friend tossed her cookies back there.

I think the location was near Dumfries, VA.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"