• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Gas Tank for a 1976 2002

ewill2002

Anyone know where I can get a brand new gas tank for a 1976 2002? Mine has rust specks and debris that has clogged the fuel filter.

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.

If you're a CCA member, you may get a good discount at the dealer, plus not have to pay shipping.

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=47140&rnd=06222010 From a dealer - Under $500 brand new; likely less from some of the suppliers here, like Blunt.

Do you really need a new tank? Professional sealing runs around $3-400, and kits such as POR's are a lot cheaper for a do-it-yourselfer. Some rust in an old tank is to be expected - rust-through is another matter.

David

"Some rust in an old tank is to be expected."

Depends on where you live. Before we rescued by wife's current ' 76 it had sat in a junk yard for 5 yrs. after sitting in a guy's front yard, un-moved, for another 15 yrs. In the process of bringing it back to life I removed the gas tank, poured out the little bit of old gas that was in it, and expected to see a mess. What I found looked like a hospital operating room. It was immaculate and all shiny. Something to be said for nine months out of the year with the humidity running from 5 to 9%.

Bob Napier

post-1362-13667627994756_thumb.jpg

After this weekend, I'll have one for sale for a reasonable price. just looking to get rid of it. not out to make money. I'm in Los Angeles and would prefer not to ship it though.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Save the cash and just use the "renu" process on your tank.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/

It gets coated inside and out and they can also repair them.

I've done it to both tanks. No more rusty crud in the system, even if the car sits for months.

Not to hijack this post, can you tell us what you paid for the Renu process?

the reason I'm asking is that I was very interested in their service until I got a quote of $350 (in SoCal area). Thanks.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably end up going to Penske Parts and order a new Gas Tank.

I hate patching up parts and buying used parts for a 34 yr. old car.

That's just my personal opinion.

Thanks again

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.