• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e21 electrical gremlins...any ideas...?

esty

i haven't driven the car in several months other moving it than around the house....i've had the lights out of for repainting the car...after putting them back in i noticed that my left turn signal is blinking dimly compared to the others... i cleaned the socket connections and changed the bulb...no change, still a dimmer blink

today i installed a new radio...i used the same wiring as before, nothing else changed

i turned the headlights on and the car died....then absolutely no power anywhere in the car...nothing works...no radio, no clock, the car won't start nothing..it's as though the battery is disconnected....the battery is fairly new and good...my volt gauge before turning the lights on indicated a good battery

frustrated, i went inside to get a drink and cuss so no one would hear me, came back about a half hour later and noticed my parking lights were on...the switch wasn't completely closed...tuned the key the car started, radio work'd, everything was normal until i turned my headlights on, then the car died and now i'm back to zero power in the car and at the ignition switch

any ideas what may be happening....

i accidentally discovered after posting this thread that i have a short....i was checking continuity in the ignition wire from the battery to the switch and discovered continuity between the + and - battery cables....i'm sure i rubbed a wire when i put the lights and grills back in....

since it was the headlights that flip'd the power, i'll start there..

Depends. Let's say you have the test lead on the Neg. battery cable end in your hand (chassis ground still connected to body) and, say the light switch pulled on and you touch the other test lead to the appropriate fuse terminal at the fuse panel, you would read continuity. You have a complete path: thru fuse, thru switch, thru bulb filament to ground you are holding in your hand. If you get this with the switch off, you have a short between the fuse and the switch or switch is shorted.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

i have it running but have all of the lights disconnected...i put in a new hazard switch today...i'm waiting on a new signal switch to arrive...i cleaned all of the grounds, replaced the battery cable terminals and all fuses

i don't have a new headlight switch yet...i want to replace the signal switch which i suspect may be bad...

why would turning the headlights on kill the car...just like turning it off with the key...i don't understand the connection

• 2 weeks later...