• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help with Insurance Value

SM02

Need some values for insurance coverage purposes for "agreed value" coverage. I'm planning to insure the following car:

1975 2002 Grantrot Metallic:

Exterior:

1) Bare metal strip and repaint - 1 Footer visually.

2) All new chrome and rubber seals.

3) New turn indicators and side markers

4) Polished big bumpers and reconditioned rubber pieces.

Interior:

1) Bare metal strip and total POR-15 repaint.

2) Dynamat entire cabin.

3) New salt and pepper carpet.

4) New headliner, and refurbished sunroof.

5) Recovered Pearl Beige seats, front and rear.

6) Non-cracked one piece dash.

7) Refurbished odometer and all new interior lights.

8) Custom gauges, Oil, Water, Electricity.

Mechanicals:

1) Rebuilt engine, hot tanked, magna fluxed, ported, balanced and polished.

2) Dual 45 webers, Warnfeld intake manifold, 294 Cam, titanium retainers, new water pump, oil pump, oil cooler, triple core radiator (Silicon Garage), tii dizzy, petronix, msd ignition, 90 amp alternator, baffled oil pan, carter fuel pump, aluminium 228 flywheel, and 9.8:1 pistons.

3) Rebuilt 5 speed CR tranny, custom balanced driveshaft, Quick ratio steering box, 3.91 limited slip diff from 82 320i, new half-shafts.

4) New disc brakes front and rear (Ireland & Ardvark), 535 master cyclinder.

Suspension:

1) Boxed trailing arms.

2) 22mm front and rear sway bars.

3) Billy Super-sports.

4) Ireland Stage 1 springs.

5) Trunk relocated battery.

6) Poly bushings.

7) Strut braces.

8) Reinforced steering column fork.

9) Potenza RE 940 195-14-60

Exhaust:

1) 02 Again header/manifold

2) Ireland stainless exhaust.

Electrical:

1) Refurbished and wrapped entire electical system.

Undercoating:

1) Entire underside coated with rubberized protectant.

Everything listed is either new or refurbished. Also I'm probably forgetting somethings done to the car but you get the gist. Meeting with my insurance agent saturday 7/24/10 at noon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If anyone wants to see the car it's located in Santa Monica, CA.

Guest Anonymous

If I were you I would take the number you have in your head and increase it by %50. I would guess that any number you throw at the agent is going to be a starting point and will be negotiated down by your insurance company. my 02 cents.

Please make sure you are going with a classic car insurance of some kind. I just switched from State Farm to Haggerty for my 02. Even my agent who has the other 3 cars said 'David you should have done this a long time ago.'

Since you live in S. Cali, for an agreed upon value I would go on a little road trip to one of the groups out there Jack Fahuna, etc who KNOW these cars, see if they could take a look at it and give you what they think it would take to rebuild what you have (which sounds awesome!). Even if you give them a couple of bucks, i think you would be way better off than guessing on your own.

Talk to Haggerty, they were really good to talk to on the phone. Your car would either be listed as stock or modified, if you explain to them what you've done, they can help you choose one or the other.

I opted for premium which gives you the benefit of towing service for ~125 miles on ANY car i have should i ever need it. Odds are I will eventually!

good luck w/your decision post some pics of the car!

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0