• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for '02 era (but non-02) car purchase suggestions...

BarryA

SE. Unfortunately, they're almost as rare as the NK wagon Tom Jones posted photos of (from what I understand, the fintail wagons were NOT built by M-B, but by an outside body builder - probably an ambulance/hearse specialty shop) so I'd have to guess that wagon-specific parts would likely be a nightmare to find (not to mention expensive).....

(ps, love this thread. Still want an FJ40. Know better...)

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please crush all 510's...I don't care how successfully they were raced or how comparable SOME folks think they are to a 2002...They aren't fit to be underneath a ratty '02 in a 3 car stack at the salvage yard. I say this having performed a COMPLETE mechanical restoration of one last year. I was so underwhelmed I didn't even take photos. (the owner may have) Talk about hard to find parts...Sheesh!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Please crush all 510's...I don't care how successfully they were raced or how comparable SOME folks think they are to a 2002...They aren't fit to be underneath a ratty '02 in a 3 car stack at the salvage yard. I say this having performed a COMPLETE mechanical restoration of one last year. I was so underwhelmed I didn't even take photos. (the owner may have) Talk about hard to find parts...Sheesh!

Skip - you and I need to talk about about "dimes" over a beer! In CA, they are very nice.

pics102509026.jpg

pics102509025.jpg

Same position in San Diego - Is there a 7-series in this picture?

pics102509024.jpg

pics102509027.jpg

pics102509028.jpg

Sorry - more nice cars came by while I was on the sidewalk (my wife was shopping)

pics102509023.jpg

pics102509021.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

ooo errr...

and the 510 wagon had a solid rear axle- only the sedan had irs.

not that I was thinking about rears or anything...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here's something strange and unusual that you don't see every day.

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/1862468720.html a 67 Volvo 122S 2 door 4 speed with CA black plates. $2.5K OBO

G-Man

but they just don't cover the "utility" criteria too well

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold

another one (solid white over brown) on e-bay as well. Only two issues with 'em - decent ones are pretty expensive (see the e-Bay auction), and they're geared pretty low, so they're not good freeway cars.

Wouldn't be too difficult to swap in a B20 / M41 OD trans combo & put in a rear axle (or just the ring and pinion) from a later 544 to get decent hiway gearing, but that's going to add $2-4K to the purchase price, and I don't think I'd want to cut one up to add a/c.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold

Nobody mentioned a Ford Capri from the 70's. Built in Germany and sold here in the states. My brother had a Capri, V-6 and 5 speed, I remember that car well. You don't see Capri's any more, they are on the endangered list!

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

• 3 weeks later...