• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just can't get rid of them hesitation blues!

flipper

i hope that's it, and i'll have a closer look at it tomorrow.

but from my take on the schematic (see below), that's a washer just as it should be, and then there's a thicker thing, the bushing, behind the lever, which isn't in the photo and which i'll check out tomorrow.

damn but this is simple but complicated, both at the same time, and a real conundrum wrapped in a sphincter all at once. kinda fun to puzzle around, though ...

much much thanks for your help.

post-10071-13667628340479_thumb.jpg

edit: disconnected the vertical rod and plunged the throttle without it, and still it stops before the primary flap can open completely. i tried to see what the blockage is but i can't puzzle it out. any thoughts?

The lever that opens the secondary floats on a bushing and should only be pushed by the finger on the lever coming from behind it. It should move freely by itself; wiggle it, try and rotate it by itself...what's it stuck to, use some WD40?

Hey Erik-

these may not be of any use, but it seemed so simple when I stuck this new 32/36 on my old motor. I stuck the linkage togther just to get me by, but it worked perfectly.

Glad to see you're sticking with it.

Scott

DSC04287.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

scott: thanks for the encouragement and pix. very helpful!

and now i gotta say, you guys are great. it was indeed a bushing problem. Baikal.2002, without you especially, i *never* would have sorted this out.

what happened was, the bushing had slipped out of place and caused binding such that i was only getting *half* of the full range of motion. everything was moving as one, forcing the secondary flap to open all the way while the primary flap opened only partially.

i took the linkage apart, cleaned things up a little, slipped the bushing into the hole (no problems!), reattached everything, and voila, full range of motion, primary and secondary doing their things as advertised!

next job: see if that solves the hesitation problem. my fingers are crossed.

again, thanks guys. this sleuthing has been incredibly rewarding!

see pix and youtube vids of before and after linkage movement.

before vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wGpHBrn3L4

after vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWY8fRrAfJM

post-1748-1366762836862_thumb.jpg

post-1748-13667628369726_thumb.jpg