• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would you do....neighbor issues...

PatAllen

So i have that stupid neighbor...

The way my house is placed makes the window of my room about 15 feet off his lot. Thats because my house is old and before there was forest there.

So now he installed a pool, and the pump right at the end of his lot...15 feet away of my windows.

So now guess what at night...all i hear is a fucking god damned pump...a freaking huge 60hz hummm all over in my bedroom.

Do i want to kill him or not...

I told him. He is kind of guy in between normal human and mongol, by the look of his face...

I thought about SABOTAGE of his pump. Pouring epoxy in it, and so on.

I am becoming depressive because of that, i cannot sleep well anymore.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Have you considered throwing a York compressor in his pool like C.D. says?

lol...

i think CD got that expression from me...ie...throwing bad stuff into neighbor pool...

i thought about shoting food colorant thingy, you know the colorant used to make cakes...one bottle should make his whole pool deep green very quick.

anyway. i have such compressor. I also have an old ford one, and few rusted out drums and brake discs that i can shoot, his pool is so close !!!

stupid moron. I still cant belive that.

sorry for the real person...

he look a bit like that..you can feel the intellectual power in his face.

etienne-gobelet_1.gif

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Not normal for me, but here's a civilized suggestion: Offer to build a big box to go around the pump. Sufficiently insulated, it should keep your room more quiet.

And you can tell him you're just a kind hearted neighbor trying to help him protect his junk from the weather or whatever.

I don't suppose you have a homeowners association? Where my parents live, that stuff wouldn't fly at all... one of the few few upsides to having such an organization.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

white noise generator in your room as a temporary fix?

already done...but it is not enough.

i offered him to get a timer...everyone does that. he can save electricity too.

not very responsive.

an inspector came in today to see his installation. He will receive a letter asking him to conform to the local regulations about noise disturbances. What a pure moron.

post-119-13667628317486_thumb.jpg

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

an inspector came in today to see his installation. He will receive a letter asking him to conform to the local regulations about noise disturbances. What a pure moron.

where i live, a pool requires a grading permit and inspection proving compliance to relevant building codes. if he has complied with all this you are S.O.L., dependent on his acquiesance on noise mitigation.

if he did not permit, as appears from the above, you may have official recourse. research the legal requirements and if he is in violation file and press a complaint with code enforcement or whatever building authority exists.

all the above is based on experience in southern california. i understand law in quebec is quirky- let me apologize for broaching ideas that may not have relevance there.

robert w.

where i live, a pool requires a grading permit and inspection proving compliance to relevant building codes. if he has complied with all this you are S.O.L., dependent on his acquiesance on noise mitigation.

if he did not permit, as appears from the above, you may have official recourse. research the legal requirements and if he is in violation file and press a complaint with code enforcement or whatever building authority exists.

all the above is based on experience in southern california. i understand law in quebec is quirky- let me apologize for broaching ideas that may not have relevance there.

robert w.

there is no real law here about noise or pool installation. The only law is one that refer to noise disturbance in general. One should not disturb anyone with any kind of noise. There is no db reference thus anyone who claim someone is making noise can be sued, upon confirmation of an inspector.

So, what will happen next is, the guy will receive a letter that will say that he must comply with that law, and that someone made a file complain, and that he must arange his pool set-up to diminish noise. If he refuses then we will need to go in court and i will have to testify my claim. He may need to pay a fee if he still refuses to comply.

His lot is 10 000 square feet, and he decided to put the motor as far as he could from his own house, which is as close as mine. I think i will paint on my back house YOU ARE STUPID.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

My suggestion is less constructive, which is somewhat abnormal in the bigger scheme of things, but right on par for me.

The Magna Carta includes a few choice elements, and as Canada is loosely affiliated with the crown, it should apply. I refer, of course, to the clause wherein it is vaguely stated, "if party A acts like a jack rope and injures party B, party B may stab party A in the face with extreme prejudice and accuracy, after which party A may, at his or her discretion, bleed profusely and cry wildly akin to a female dog."

Please note that I'm not a Canadian constitutional scholar, and at the time of this post, I've imbibed a few wobbly pops. Your dedicated counsel may disagree with my interpretation of the Magna Carta, but this disagreement will likely be due to his/her inability to comprehend ye Olde English.

I[/b]

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

no wiring codes, nothing about drainage or subsidence? child safety? must be nice. the two people i know who have installed pools in the last 5 years each have tales of regulatory interference. he must have installed an aboveground, temporary pool.

it seems redundent to say pools must be scarce in quebec, with the climate and all. probably the problem will go away as soon as autumn arrives?

how about this- one weekday morning at @ 1.30-2 am, go over and wake him up with the doorbell. when he answers the door, just tell him-'dude, your f***ing pump is keeping me up. turn it off please.' do this every weekday night until he submits.

r.w.

no wiring codes, nothing about drainage or subsidence? child safety? must be nice. the two people i know who have installed pools in the last 5 years each have tales of regulatory interference. he must have installed an aboveground, temporary pool.

it seems redundent to say pools must be scarce in quebec, with the climate and all. probably the problem will go away as soon as autumn arrives?

how about this- one weekday morning at @ 1.30-2 am, go over and wake him up with the doorbell. when he answers the door, just tell him-'dude, your f***ing pump is keeping me up. turn it off please.' do this every weekday night until he submits.

r.w.

Ha! When I was in college - the guy in the apartment next door to me would have parties on weeknights. Sounds fun, but us poor slobs in engineering school need sleep when we can get it.

So - my revenge for getting woken up by drunken revelry at 3 am was to call him at 6 or 7 am, when I was getting up for class. Not just once or twice, but call, wait for him to answer, hang up. Wait 5 min. Call, wait for him to answer, hang up. I'd to this for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Well - that, and because I worked in the oilfield in the summer, I had a ton of earplugs. So - I learned to sleep with earplugs, but still wake up to my alarm.

Good Luck!

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

One other thing I can't understand is why is he running the pump at night? I run my pool pump from 10 AM to 4 PM here in Florida and that is plenty. Why is he running it at night? Ask him if he can run it during the day when everyone is working/school.

exactly what i told him. "i may check for it" he says.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

One other thing I can't understand is why is he running the pump at night? I run my pool pump from 10 AM to 4 PM here in Florida and that is plenty. Why is he running it at night? Ask him if he can run it during the day when everyone is working/school.

exactly what i told him. "i may check for it" he says.

If he can't "get the point", shove the "point" down his throat.

If you can't sleep because his pool pump is making noise? Make more noise and keep him up at night too. Go out and chop some wood, tune your car, mow the grass, all at 2 am. Of course, do these things while listening to "Death Metal" on the radio.

Generally, make your problem into his problem then he would be more likely to do something about it.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..