• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 sensors on the EFI water neck

nbristow01

I have my water neck from the 318. The one that connects to the head and the upper rad hose goes to it. It has 3 sensors, I know the one is water temp but can someone tell me what the other 2 are? I am trying to determine if I will need them with the MS setup

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

One is the coolant temp sensor for the gauge in the car. The other is the cold start temp sensor. This system is like the Tii system that uses an extra fuel injector to add fuel to the engine when its cold. The third is the coolant temp sensor for the Bosch ECU.

When I did my EFI conversion, I removed all the sensors (except for the gauge sensor) and used a 3/8 inch NPT tap on the largest threaded hole to install a GM coolant temp sensor. Most DIY EFI systems are set-up for the GM sensor.

jbyvbyygyyg.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Hey Nbristow, I have an extra gm coolant sensor with the plug left over from my EFI conversion... If you want to go that way I'll send it to you for free if you pay postage.

Just spreading some good vibes to counteract the JhC negativity going around lately...

LMK

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

I used all three holes: One for the dash temp gauge, one for my electric fan (this can also be controlled via MS if you chose), and one for the MS unit. I used EasyTherm to recalibrate the standard Bosch sensor, and it was indeed quite simple. I'd guess you'll spend less time doing this than retrofitting something for the GM sensor. When you have a chance, drop me an email at trichardson AT clifbar DOT com and I can send you some more MS stuff you may find helpful.

post-400-1366762845613_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...