• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1.6 versus 2.0 block

pkbinplano

I have what looks to be a NOS 1.6 block. Can this block be bored to 2.0 and would everything from a 2.0 block work on this 1.6 block ? Casting part number on block is 11802100839 and where the vin number is stamped, 1561921 which pulls up as a e30 in realoem . Block part number doesn't pull up. No date casting on block, block is still coated in that waxy stuff. Quick measurement of bore shows 84.00 . Just looking at options . May put up for sale with NOS 1800ti matching pistons for it

390078534.jpg

Paul,

I have it noted as being owned by Andy S. in May '05.

I believe the 2002 Registry has (or had) it noted as Atlantik colour and living in TN in 2007. Not sure if Atlantik was available in '67 but that's what was listed in the Registry.

Edit: Paul I cannot gaurantee the authenticity; I only copy what the poster/ebay/2002 Registry/etc puts down.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Realoem (or any other VIN translator I know of) does not work reliably for cars built before 1980. In 1980, the format for all VINs were standardized to use 17 characters regardless of manufacturer.

There is a FAQ here that lists 02 VINs:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/13/32/

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

I wouldn't bore it-

too easy to find a 2l block, and not unheard of to

find voids or crap in the casting.

I like the 1800 idea better.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Actually, I wonder if the iron castings got dates.

Aluminum did for sure, but now that you mention it, I

can't remember ever seeing a date code on a block or

other iron part...

and the vin, too, I do wonder... sure it's nos, not 'pulled at birth'?

'removed from new equipment to make aracecar'?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

i doubt that block is nos. in the early days, the blocks were stamped with the same number as the chassis. even in the grey market days, i would have customers who were confused on the actual vin of the car, or the production date. i would always ask for the number on the block, and never had a problem. some of the grey mkt cars were re vin'd, but no one would change the number on the block. also, when i was in the shop, and we would get an engine from bmw, it always came with the machined boss for the vin blanked. you are supposed to restamp the vin on there.

Ken Inn

• 8 years later...

Circling back to this old thread solely for a future reference.

A 1.6-liter block cast August 31, 1967, from an early 1968 1600-2 (VIN 1560364, manufactured September 1967), has the same casting number on it as the engine in the initial post above, 11802100839.

I suspect the block in the initial post of this thread, from another early 1968 1600-2 (VIN 1561921, manufactured December 14, 1967), also has a casting date, approximately below the number 1 and 2 freeze plugs on the right side of the engine.

Below, a thread discussing, and illustrating the casting number and casting date of engine number 1560364, owned by Road trip.  Road trip’s VIN 1560364 is discussed in multiple recent threads: it’s a very original early 1968 Chamonix 1600-2, numbers matching and with factory sunroof.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I recently owned 1561921 which had been fitted with a 2.0 l motor.  guy i sold it to seemed very interested in restoring it or at the very least get it running and back on the road. turned out his interest went south and he sold it (should have had him give me first refusal) and it may still be local but somewhat cut up as it was going to be fitted with a lexus six, which as it turned out, was too much work for the owner and he sold it.  

• Sad 1

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)