• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E39 auto vs 5 speed, do the auto tranny's last past 200k ?

DanOKC

I'm looking at a replacement for my E28 after some serious hail damage at my house in May.

I'm seeing lots of E39's around $4K to $5K & am trying to keep in a 6 cyl, don't need a go fast car, so the V8's are out. I'd like a 6Cyl 530, but they are still around 10K, about twice my used car budget for now.

So I'm wondering if I get an auto 528 with about 200K on the clock, what's the chances of the auto transmission going bad before 300K ?

I know I can get auto tranny's at the salvage yard, but I've heard they are year specific for those cars, not sure if that's 100% correct.

I might hold out for a 5 speed, but the 5 speed E39 528's are harder to find.

thanks

2002 owner since 1980

OK, thanks Rob, I've been reading online as much as possible & trying to learn about them. I've heard that before about not refilling, but I don't understand why that would matter, unless they are that fragile that new fluid is gonna make it go bad quicker. I've also had some BMW dealer techs tell me a few years ago the BMW lifetime fill is crap, change it every 100K.

I'd like to find an E39 Manual 5 speed, but they are like 1 to 100 ratio for auto's. I have seen a few E39's for sale with: Good motor, trans bad. Also lots of them fail going into reverse. From what I've found out, you can get a rebuilt valve body with certain mods from a transmission rebuilder for about $500 that corrects the reverse problems, with $200 core deposit. I'd rather try that then buy one & drive it with my fingers crossed that it won't crap out on me. Used auto tranny for E39 around here cost $600 or so.

2002 owner since 1980

well the new fluid dislodges the varnish and dirt that builds up naturally and you end up with clogged passages in the trans. "Lifetime fill" means the lifetime of the new-car warranty. After that, BMW stops giving a shit. I'd say that even 100k is too late to do a fluid change. Either you do it every 50k or not at all. This was the topic of much discussion and head-shaking (along with the fragile cooling systems) back when i was working at bim dealership in alabama.

having owned e28, e34, and e39, if I had a $5k budget, I would buy the best e28 out there. The e39s are junk. Cooling system sucks and plan on spending $1000 replacing it -- even if it is new now, you'll need one in a few years. The V8s are very expensive to maintain -- stay away. And those cars are not easy to work on. But a cherry e28, as you know, is solid and easy for the shade-tree mechanic to own....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

I have the 2000 e39 and 140k on the clock. The cooling system sucks! I just had the check engine light come on only to do a code read and find the thermostat is stuck open. Argh, the radiators are crappy, so I might as well do the whole shooting match. The trans though is pretty tough in mine. Many road trips, many need for speed adventures with my 2 sons. It is an auto and I must have gotten a good one. I also heard what Rob said about the fluid from an ex BMW mechanic. just leave it be till the trans dies and try to find wrecked one to harvest the trans from.

But they are great cruising cars.

HTH

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

I agree with Inka, the E28's are very solid, my 83 528e has been very good to me with regards to maintenance. I am getting older (47), have had back & neck problems since my first 2002 got major rear end crash when I was 18.

So the creature comforts are what I'm looking at. My E28 is very good shape mechanically, but interior (Dash is terrible), and exterior (was in primer when I bought 10 years ago, still is :-) and it has hail damage now. Had to find a cheap windshield quick after hail took it out. I found a plinkington for $105, but they don't fit right. So I'm looking at newer, more creature comforts, airbags, etc... in the newer cars. Still have one 2002 in the garage that escaped the hail. Had a 72 shell & a 75 daily driver on the drive that didn't. So it's time for me to get another car & start parting out some stuff.

I also had a 91 318is project car that was about to get the motor running & it lost both front & rear glass, & got a ton of dents.

I was leaning towards E34's for a while, because of the E39's reputation.

But, if I get a 6 Cylinder, & find a manual, my only concern is Vanos. That can be fixed with new aftermarket seals for $120. If I get an auto, then I have to budget $1000 to $ 3000 for when that auto fails.

Manuals are hard to find !

2002 owner since 1980

Are you from the midwest(Ok city?)?

Bummer about the hail damage, should have thrown a couple of blankets/pillows over the cars. That is brutal :[

As has been said, forget auto e39's unless they've been serviced, or are lower in milage but it seems your budget might not allow. Keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on an auto, or wait out the manuals. They are definitely out there. I waited seven months to find the car I truly wanted.

Good luck.

Matt

Jeremy Clarkson-

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."

-Matt

our E39 530 has 145k miles, no cooling issues, no auto tranny issues. One cam sensor went bad 50k miles ago, that's it.

I have never changed any fluids - other than oil.

Spark plugs are original.

Rear rotors are original

Front rotors were original for 140k miles.

Leather looks new. Paint looks new. Pulls strong as new.

One of the best cars ever owned.

FAQ Member # 91

a while back i looked into the cooling system thing and found out that the culprit appears to be the blue bmw coolant itself. it contains a plasticizer, which means softener, which attacks the plastic and softens and eats away at it. thus plastic-impeller water pumps, and all the other plastic in the cooling systems, is subject to failure between 50-100k. Michael are you still running the BMW smurf coolant? coolant and brake fluid should be changed every two years! :) IF you are still running the blue stuff, id count yourself lucky nothing has failed yet, and probably order all new cooling system parts, including radiator, for the end is nigh.. ;)

having owned e28, e34, and e39, if I had a $5k budget, I would buy the best e28 out there. The e39s are junk. Cooling system sucks and plan on spending $1000 replacing it -- even if it is new now, you'll need one in a few years. The V8s are very expensive to maintain -- stay away. And those cars are not easy to work on. But a cherry e28, as you know, is solid and easy for the shade-tree mechanic to own....

I agree. I owned the E39 from hell for approximately a year, a 1997 528i. During that time it sucked me dry with cooling system, transmission and front suspension overhauls, in addition to the power window mechanisms. I was so disenchanted with the car that I swapped it car for car for a 1987 325A.

For $5K you should find a clean five-speed E28 535i. Those cars will go on forever with regular maintenance. There should be a few on the MYE28.com board.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Robspeed - I'm interested in learning more about the plasticizer in BMW coolant.

Where did you find the info on the plasticizer and its effect on the plastic cooling components?

a while back i looked into the cooling system thing and found out that the culprit appears to be the blue bmw coolant itself. it contains a plasticizer, which means softener, which attacks the plastic and softens and eats away at it. thus plastic-impeller water pumps, and all the other plastic in the cooling systems, is subject to failure between 50-100k. Michael are you still running the BMW smurf coolant? coolant and brake fluid should be changed every two years! :) IF you are still running the blue stuff, id count yourself lucky nothing has failed yet, and probably order all new cooling system parts, including radiator, for the end is nigh.. ;)

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

Robspeed - I'm interested in learning more about the plasticizer in BMW coolant.

Where did you find the info on the plasticizer and its effect on the plastic cooling components?

http://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+coolant+plasticizer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

2-EHA = poison for plastics!

Harry,

My uncle sold his '88 E28 535i a couple of years ago. It was a very nice car. 5-speed, too. Except for the proprietary wheels, I loved it.

Shoulda bought it, too. He let it go for $2K.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Dan,

I have a '95 E34 525ia with 242k miles on the clock.

After reading all of the horror stories about the "lifetime" fluid

in the GM auto-tranny I took the car to a BG dealer and had a

BG tranny service done on the car. It's a closed system fluid exchange.

No problems.(knock on wood)

To my small mind, the E34 still looks like a BMW.

A really good E28 would be even more groovy, in a vintage

kinda way.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti