• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil catch tank! What are you guys using??

jrhone

Per the Restoration Guide, my catch can is a 30" piece of 3/4" heater hose pointed south. Works like like a, well, a charm in a no smog test or inspection state like Indiana.

-Ben

poor man's rustproofing.  eventually leads to fog of oil all over the bottom of the car.  which collects dirt.

2xM3

after looking at a boat load of cans, i decided to make my own. i really liked the Mishimoto design http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.htm%C2'> i simulated it.  :) it is basically 2" pvc, with a a home made baffle.the can i looked at (325.00) was nice enough to show off the engineering, on their web site. this is my version. the fittings are from McMaster Carr. the copper filter (compressor filter) was one of the ideas that i borrowed.  :)

IMG_2255_zps3uabgvpw.jpegIMG_2256_zpsmnzixvuy.jpegIMG_2258_zpszlwmzlk2.jpegIMG_2257_zpsdhdxlegs.jpeg

Edited by gaius

I don't believe that is a compressor filter.  It is a silencer if I'm not mistaken.  It's meant for pneumatic air cylinders so there isn't a loud psssst! when the valve opens to exhaust the air.  It will surely filter the big particles (and probably the small ones too) if it's drawing a vacuum.  It may clog though.  

Slightly on and off topic ...

Does any one use a PCV valve on their crankcase vent?

Why?

OR

Why not?

It doesn't work well because a crankcase vent system that has a pcv also has an open filtered (often from the filtered side of the intake air filter) vent.  The vent is needed because the pcv is sized so when the engine is new and blowby is minimal the pcv flow rate is in excess, without the vent, the crankcase pressure would be pulled below atmospheric and raise havoc with the shaft seals (run dry) as air is sucked in at those points.

As the engine gets old and blowby increases the in-flow thru the open vent reduces until when the engine is old and there is lots of blowby and too much for the pcv when the vent begins to blow oil into the air filter housing.

(JP, that's why the extra 1/8npt hole was in the side of the head I sold you. It was the vent.)

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.