• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can someone help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i bought my son a 73 a few months ago. I own 2 2002s already. He cant drive a stick and doesnt want the car anymore. He wants a BMW still but an automatic. I dont have time or money for another project. I was wondering how much i can resale his car to buy another BMW.

Ok its a california car, color is Sahara, only rust i found is where the trim clips go. and its just surface. The roof had surface rust but i sanded it away and its starting to slowly grow back but can easily be sanded away again. It runs good, easily does 110 on the freeway, engine is all stock except for weber carb, has a very very slow oil leak, like a couple drops of oil every few days.Rear Bilstins, Performance springs all around.4spd.

It needs new paint, the hood is a diffrent color, has no trim on it, all glass is there and good. interior is all stock. door panels in ok condition, has speaker holes. seats have a few cuts. dash has a few cracks, rear shelf has bad 6x9 speaker cut outs. no carpet. Clarion stereo.

So around how much do you think i can get for my car. i dont have any pics yet. thanks.

If I can teach my teenage daughter how to drive a stick and trust me, she has a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. If she can learn to drive a stick, then there is hope that your son can learn as well. I gave her my 86 E30 325 5 speed and she's now quite the pro at driving a stick now. She tells me that all the boys in HS are jealous of her, they all want her to teach them how to drive a stick. None of their parents have cars with a stick but they all want to learn how to drive a stick. I told my daughter that her options were walking or learn to drive a stick, she quickly learned. Don't give up yet on your son, he'll figure it out.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Please teach him to drive stick. It amazes me -- as people in this country get lazier and lazier -- that so many people drive cars with automatics and don't even know how to operate a manual transmission. Sorry, I know this is not an answer to the question you asked; I guess it just hit a nerve!

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

It hit some of my nerves too. My 19-year-old son gave up on learning how to drive a stickshift. Too much effort, too much correction from his father who was trying to teach him it seems. I don't think that he will ever try again. Watching me enjoy my vintage BMW with a 4 speed manual had very little effect on him.... {EDIT: jrhone, please read my post below}

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

It hit some of my nerves too. My 19-year-old son gave up on learning how to drive a stickshift. Too much effort, too much correction from his father who was trying to teach him it seems. I don't think that he will ever try again. Watching me enjoy my vintage BMW with a 4 speed manual had very little effect on him....

If it were my son..."Learn to drive a stick...or buy your own car." When I grew up it was a rule...you dont get a choice of which car you get unless you are paying....My 2 sisters each got a Pinto...I was lucky I got a Datsun 710. My brother refused a Pinto so he bought a Datsun 510 with his own money. I wanted a BMW 2002...4 years later I saved and bought it myself. It amazes how our society will LET a child dictate the terms of a GIFT...sorry for the rant...Maybe 1500...you can get an automatic 320i pretty cheap as they 320s are not as desireable and the automatics even less...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

In Washington state drivers ed courses are now required to get a drivers license. I think it's time to require competency with a manual transmission to get a drivers license.we are doing our kids wrong by not really getting them to understand how control of an automobile works . Although exceptions would be made to conform with the Americans with Disabilities Act as well as a few "who just cant get it" no matter what it`s time to give them a firm reminder that driving is aPRIVILIGE and not a RIGHT

My first car was a 73 2002 four speed. I learned in a few days. I tought my younger sister how to drive a stick on her 16th birthday and she never killed the engine. I am happy to say that she is 26 with two kids and drives a 5spd Jetta. I think everyone should learn. as far as the subject above goes, You need to get pics up ASAP for us to give you a fair 'opinion" on what your car is worth.

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

the price you paid 'a few months ago' should be a better indication of its value than opinions garnered by a description and no photos.

honestly, given your description, i would be hesitant to be seen in the car. maybe that is the real issue? and the trans a mere smokescreen?

as mentioned by others, the best way to insure he is happy in his car is to let him buy it himself. fathers buy and maintain cars for their daughters; sons need to man up.

just mho

robert w.

the price you paid 'a few months ago' should be a better indication of its value than opinions garnered by a description and no photos.

honestly, given your description, i would be hesitant to be seen in the car. maybe that is the real issue? and the trans a mere smokescreen?

as mentioned by others, the best way to insure he is happy in his car is to let him buy it himself. fathers buy and maintain cars for their daughters; sons need to man up.

just mho

robert w.

Agree

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

bottom line today is that manual tranny's are rare. mentality is why bother with clutch when most cars today are auto's or "manu-matics" even bmw sells tons more smg's than sticks. most of the population in this country can go through life and never even ride in a manual tranny car. sad.

but, if op appears to have three 2002's and recently bought the last one, should already have an idea of the value.

if son doesn't want to learn, i would just buy him new shoes to walk everywhere in....

2xM3

just mho

I don't know what winds me up more, this guy caving into his son or your suggestion that it would be ok if it were a girl....

How exactly does it help my daughter in life if I encourage her to be ignorant about cars?

"You drive a race car you don't carry it" - Janet Guthrie when asked if she could compete with men by some clueless journalist about 40 years ago...

• 2 weeks later...