• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Causes Brake Linkage Wear?

ClayW

What causes the "ovalling" of the holes in the "L" shaped bracket (seen below in a pirated image from Uncle CD)?

02pedalbrakegas.jpg

I have some play in my brake pedal linkage that translates to 1-1.5" of play in brake pedal travel. I suspect that I might not be getting a good bleed due to this.

After inspection, we noticed that the holes in the bracket are a little "ovalled." I've got replacement pins and the rod end on the way and we've found a replacement "L" bracket, but I'm curious what might have caused the problem to begin with.

Any ideas? Where else should I look?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Are there bushings in the thin metal components or just holes in mild steel? Bushings, properly lubed will spread out the force and minimize the oval effect. Working on this same issue on a dune buggy right now and will be adding shoulder bushings tack welded to the pedal arms in our case. We had to bore out the hole to match the OD of the bushing and will use slightly longer pins.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

of the several pedal box rehabs i've done, i've only seen wear on the pivot arm hole, once and it was only slight (however, it's on the 'reserve' list now). most of the wear i've encountered, fortunately, is on the small clevis pins which are easy to replace. i'd suspect that the wear you have is due to lack of lubrication, coupled with fretting (wear and corrosion, combined) and can be exacerbated with a tendency to bear down hard on the brake pedal due to non-optimal brakes.

i always dab a bit of moly grease on those joints for good measure and try to swipe the plastic bushings contained within the pivot arm with some white litium grease to help them to remain free to rotate as necessary.

it helps to make friends with someone with a Tig welder who can buildup worn bushings and such. i've saved several bits and pieces on my 02's that way, especially alternator supports and exhaust hanger brackets.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Where did you find the new L bracket?

Williamggruff had a spare, but you can find a new LENKFÜHRUNGSHEBEL (yes, that's the name) at http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=35_0195&hg=35&fg=05.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Has anyone thought about installing some nice ball or roller bearings to repair an ovalized hole? I know that I'm certainly not capable of doing it, but think of the smooth braking effort that would result. *heaven*

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"