• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any (older) skateboarders here??

jgerock

While digging thru some stuff at my parent's house, I ran across my old skateboard from my (ahem) younger years.

My dad helped me make the board out of walnut. I mowed neighbors lawns saving money for the ACS-651 trucks and Tunnel V urethane wheels.

The pivot bushings have disentegrated, so I'd be crazy to ride it (and break my neck).

picsAugust72010031.jpg

picsAugust72010025.jpg

picsAugust72010026.jpg

picsAugust72010030.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I consider myself an older (and wiser) skater. Older- as when I started, clay wheels were common and urethane was something new, and Wiser- that I know better and keep my old board up on the wall and have sense enough to not to take it down and think I can still skate.

I commuted to and from school on my Pegasus 19" rocker with Bennett Pro AdTrac trucks (used to be called ACS), and the first Bones wheels from Powell (before Stacy Peralta got involved with them).

A few years back I put all my old skate magazines up on eBay. 1978 to about 1981. They were very popular. One batch ended up going to Japan and fetched me over $100 for a few mags.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I skateboarded when a skate board was literally that. a board with separated skate attached to it. Steel wheels and crappy black top make for some interesting skin designs I still carry today. LOL, We weren't fancy. They didn't turn too well, but we were f a s t>>>>>>>> Around 66-67 in NC.

My first board was made from blue plexiglass(!) that was long and too flexible. I think the wheels had ball bearings. It was store bought (Zayre or Woolco I think).

My second board was a crappy short wooden one with ballbearing nylon? wheels and skinny trucks. I swapped out the wheels and trucks for the ones in my original pics ^, then made a new board that was much stronger after that one broke.

Most of us punks were either into skateboarding or BMX bikes. I was into both. First bike was hand-me-down Raleigh, 2nd a Huffy BMX, 3rd a Kubica? and last one is/was a ??? (cannot remember the brand).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Speaking of bikes ..Do you remember Freestyle magazine? They did a column called "Vert Search". They did one called Vert Search Insane Diego and featured the ramp I hung out at in 1985 near the suburb of Santee, CA. I was there for the photoshoot. I was too young to be any good on a ramp (8th grade) and didn't get to ride, but it was a great day. I may still have the issue out at my folks place.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I still have a couple of my old Santa Cruz boards, plus one we made from an old wooden water ski. Bennet Pro trucks with red urethane wheels or Kriptonics orange wheels. We skated everyday while growing up here on the east coast circa 1975 - 1979.

Garry

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)

Cool

I had a Bahn down hill board. Had open bering Cadillac Wheels. It was longer and had no kick tail. Sure was fast. Taught me how to set up ball bearings.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I skateboarded when a skate board was literally that. a board with separated skate attached to it. Steel wheels and crappy black top make for some interesting skin designs I still carry today. LOL, We weren't fancy. They didn't turn too well, but we were f a s t>>>>>>>> Around 66-67 in NC.

That brings back memories! We used to do that back in 1962. We'd separate a discarded (or not) metal skate and attach it to a scrap of plywood with whatever we could find in our dads' toolboxes. Standing up was a trick in itself.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg