• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please Ignition or Fuel Pump?

jmr_1602

Originally I posted this question in my project blog, but not sure if anyones seen it.

I've run into problem that I'm trying to trouble shoot.

While driving, my car stalled and shut down. It would not restart, and I ended up waiting 5 hours for a tow truck.

I checked my battery and it had about 12.3V. I also checked all my grounds, and everything seemed to be in proper order. When I turn the key, I don't hear the starter engaging, and the electric fuel pump doesn't make the normal audible 'clicking" noises, in fact its a faint clicking noise that goes completely silent after about 5 seconds of turning the key.

I was going to remove the fuel line and check out the pumps output after 30 seconds of turning the key (like I've read in the archives), but honestly I don't think it's working at all.

So my question is. Do I have a fuel pump issue, or is it my ignition switch? Something else? I assume ignition switch since I hear next to nothing when turning the key over. All electrical components are working: lights, stereo, gauges...

I'm not sure what else to mention, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

car details:

6V

s14 starter (less than year old)

e21 head

crane ignition

tii dizzy

electric fuel pump

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

...YOUR :

starter motor died

your battery really has a short in it - load test (turn key and lights on)

while you test for voltage and test battery voltage WHILE you

hold the key in the cranking position _______ V ?

you have really f_ _ ked ground wiring

"....."........" ..... F........" positive wiring at battery /starter

not yer pump

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"