• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Do you have or want disks on the back of your M2? We just got the new OMAX Water Jet working here at school and I have a set or rear claiper brackets I need test fit...

Both Brackets took about 16 minutes to cut out... The dimensions came from the disk brake thread on here.

292163_2171298594752_1015371946_32497000_1997394_n.jpg

V/R

Chris

Here is another picture, 3/8" steel, I designed them in Solidworks and stress tested them to a FOS of 2... They should be plenty strong to hold the back of an 02'.

292068_2171299034763_1015371946_32497002_1784292_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

been having an idle issue lately. really rich....like 10 afr and lower. off idle, runs fine. replaced TPS and O2 sensor with no change. took it for a drive today anyway just for fun before the storm rolled through. nice outside temp, roads were dry, fun! it was really just for data logging of the problem, but....:-)

bonus....a porsche C2 did a really slow roll past me. male 50ish driver gave me big thumbs up and yelled "nice car!" out the open window.

bonus two.....cute young lass in a e30 325es gave a double thumbs up and big smile as she passed.

these cars are a hoot!

2xM3

• 1 month later...
Keep me in mind. I currently have a very smokey engine and would having something with a little more power.

Marshall's current M10 is a nice, smooth powerful engine. The valvetrain is very quiet (even with a Schrick 292 cam). I would buy it if I needed another non-tii engine and had the room to store it.

This is the motor I built way back in '01-'02 for the malaga 73 that it came in. Whoever got it - let me know, as I have all receipts for parts (new .050 over Mahle 9.5:1 pistons, Schrick 292, Schrick HD valve springs), machine work (John Spindler) and head work (Eric Kerman). Also had tons of receipts for the other stuff - suspension, brakes, etc. I never got these to Rob, who bought the car from me in the summer of 2007 before selling to Marshall.

Would love to hook up with whoever got the motor, as I put a lot of money and love into it (before eventually neglecting the car for the last coupe years as flyfishing took over the addictive part of my feeble brain).

Marty

too many fish, not enough time

• 2 weeks later...

I neglected the M2 for a month or two while I resuscitated the E30…M2 got mad at me and broke…;-)

Jacked it up to readjust the exhaust joint at the front of the center section. Got that done.

DSCN5322.jpg

Then remember hearing a clunk from the back when going on/off throttle. Started to check all the driveshaft, diff, halfshaft, cv joints, etc. found the culprit. This thing.

DSCN5316.jpg

The output flanges on my diff had a lot of slop in them, especially the left one. hmmm. Pulled diff and popped the flanges out.

DSCN5323.jpg

DSCN5325.jpg

Not sure why all that slop is in there. It was not only loose rotationally, but in/out and could wobble. Bearings maybe? Are the splines toast?

Well….good to have spares! Had “normal” e21 3.91 LSD as a spare (oem lockup vs. the 50% lockup on the other diff). popped that one in and

DSCN5319.jpg

Ooops. Forgot. This one is drilled for the bigger bolts. The halfshafts that were on the car have 2002 cv joints that use the small bolts. Had to run off to the storage trailer a few miles away to get my franken halfshafts. E21 inner CV’s, E21 axle, 2002 outer CV’s. will clean them up and install later this week.

DSCN5320.jpg

2xM3

while i am contemplating the 4.10....

got the spare diff in. have not even put the car back down on the ground and i miss the high-lock lsd. the spare is stock LSD unit. a lot less "limited" than the Aardvark one.

I popped the output flanges off the good diff, swapped them side to side, then popped the flanges off the stock diff and tried those. no change in the slop. must be the output bearings or something internal. argh.

2xM3

:-)

Mins is s'posed to be ~50% lockup also. Where do you notice the difference, generally?

... Btw the 1600 will finally show up this week!

Cheers,

Ray

got the spare diff in. have not even put the car back down on the ground and i miss the high-lock lsd. the spare is stock LSD unit. a lot less "limited" than the Aardvark one.

I popped the output flanges off the good diff, swapped them side to side, then popped the flanges off the stock diff and tried those. no change in the slop. must be the output bearings or something internal. argh.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

While browsing the Blue book last night, I turned to the rear diff section. Play in the output shafts might be attributed to a poor fit of the shaft into the housing. Book says to remove the shafts, clean the splines thoroughly, apply locking paste/fluid (I think this term is what they used) then re-insert.

Just a thought - may not be a solution. Of course, I was looking at the 2002 rear diff book and not the E21 LSD.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

the difference will be felt coming off corner. can add power a lot harder and sooner without spinning the inside wheel. not as critical in a stock 02, but with the extra s14 HP, big difference. high lock up will also create a touch of understeer at corner turn in if pushing the limits on a track. easy to compensate for, but does change the approach a bit.

2xM3

Hey, I've got a corner just outside!

... but officer, Marshall said....

;-)

Ray

the difference will be felt coming off corner. can add power a lot harder and sooner without spinning the inside wheel. not as critical in a stock 02, but with the extra s14 HP, big difference. high lock up will also create a touch of understeer at corner turn in if pushing the limits on a track. easy to compensate for, but does change the approach a bit.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.