• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

like them. they are koni race shocks, not the normal 2002 street ones. single adjustable front and rear. they seem to control the 350f/450r springs well. i have not fully tuned the suspension yet..need more track time.

but yes, the go quite nicely with the seatbelts...;-)

2xM3

took the M2 out for a drive today with Jim G's tii. beautiful day for a drive! but the car started pulling to the right...harder and harder... hmmm. feels like a flat tire. pull over. sure enough, RF tire completely flat. zero air. no problem, this ain't no new car with no spare, i got a nice new spare in the trunk.

ooops. note to all. if your car is lowered and you have a flat, the probability that your jack will fit under the car is....zero. i only carry a scissor jack and there was no way i could get to the frame rail or subframe. jim had a stock jack....it only got under the car with me lifting the RF corner. lesson learned.

stylin' spare....it is dirty now!

DSCN5328.jpg

but bought a present for the M2 today....some new shoes..

Dforce 15x7's et25. going to try to fit 205/50 15 r-comps under the fenders on them

2011-10-23_11-40-51_337.jpg

it needed a present after what i did to it last night. since the e30 was in the shop, the M2 got left in the yard overnight. evidently the red was a big target for the neighborhood birds. the car got plastered. ugh. sorry Maddie!

2xM3

lighter is faster!

my steelie spare is from an e21....because 02 steelies will not fit over volvo/e21 brakes. (take note everyone who "upgraded" brakes to this setup and still have an 02 wheel in their trunk thinking it might be useful someday......)

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...

Grice is my hero. i must make my car look like his...;-)

DSCN5336.jpg

DSCN5335.jpg

DSCN5331.jpg

bolted on the D-force wheels with worn out 205/50 15 toyo ra-1's to see if they would fit. suprisingly, the 205 toyos were the same outside diameter and width as the yoko s.drive 195/50 street tires i had on the car. do not believe the measurements on the sidewall...

a pair of 276 schrick cams and an ecu chip are on the way. let the winter modification season begin!

2xM3

I thought that WAS Grice's car at first! SHWEET! Now you guys can roll in style together around Summit Point. Can we get an ISRCG sponsorship vinyl plastered over the side of both of your cars? People would think we (the Ivy Street Red Car Gang) actually knew a thing or two about cars...

About tire dimensions... My uncle's race team built themselves a set of wooden templates for the maximum size tire that would fit in their car's wheel wells. One for the width / height of the tread past the rim and another for the sidewall 'squeeze' factor. It was fun going to Radial Tire with them to watch them test out various hoosiers. They would mount the tires to the wheel and then bring the pressure down to 1 or 0.5 psi and play with the flex in the sidewall versus their gauges. However they did it, they got the tire to fit within a business card's thickness from the outer fender without any chance of it grabbing. I guess thats pretty easy to do with 800 to 1000 lb springs rates though...

I'm willing to bet that the sidewalls on your RA-1s are a lot thinner than the summer tires you normally run...

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

bolted on the D-force wheels with worn out 205/50 15 toyo ra-1's to see if they would fit. suprisingly, the 205 toyos were the same outside diameter and width as the yoko s.drive 195/50 street tires i had on the car. do not believe the measurements on the sidewall...

Yeah, tire sizes are kind of like womans' clothes sizes....

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Grice is my hero. i must make my car look like his...;-)

Nice wheels ;-) !

They appear to be black, whereas mine are anthracite/smoked. Appropriate, as I expect I'll be getting smoked by your M2.

New fancy cams for the s14. Yep, it sounds like Ray is right; you need a 4.11. Of course, you're also gonna need a carbon fiber hood and deck lid, and a dogleg 5, but those are simple end of winter projects ;-)

I plan to dig into my motor in December or January. Been a bit too busy with work, house chores, truck and daily driver projects recently. I replaced the front brakes pads and rotors on the truck yesterday afternoon, then started it up and pumped the brakes a few times to get the front calipers to reset. Pressure built up nicely, and a few pumps later the pedal went right to the floor. I got out and saw a stream of brake fluid pooling on the ground near the rear wheels. Turns out the long bolt that secures one end of the spare wheel bracket had been rubbing against the hard brake line to the rear wheels, and the line split under pressure. Fortunately, this happened while the truck was at rest in my driveway rather than on the road. Makes me wonder what other fun and excitement awaits me when I get this second hand beater on the road.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• 3 weeks later...

Way back in august I started having an issue with the AFR going seriously rich at idle. In normal running AFR seemed to be fine. Issue remains. Have swapped in a bunch of new parts and tested others to no avail. Next up is to check the ECU for the infamous “fried transistor” problem and to replace the AFPR with a stock FPR. I really want to get it running smoothly again before introducing any new mods/variables…

Like these….

2011-12-01_19-42-47_649.jpg

2011-12-01_19-47-12_514.jpg

2011-12-01_19-55-51_91.jpg

Custom chip and pair of 276 schricks arrived today. Yum. Unfortunately further M2 work on hold until I get the subframe dropped on the E30 to replace the totally shot 25year old subframe and trailing arm bushings. And of course while the subframe is down, replace brake soft lines and rebuild the calipers. Doing maint on the daily driver is a drag!

2xM3

Still not getting the S14 to run. Really bad now…barely idles, way too rich.

WB02 changed

TPS changed

Water temp sensor changed

Fuel pressure regulator changed

Wiring harness continuity checked

Plug gap checked

Coil tested

AN maps checked

ICV checked

ICV driver transistors in ECU visually not blown

TB’s balanced

Fuel pressure checked

Injectors are ticking away…

Beginning to think something else on the ECU is toast.

DSCN5347.jpg

DSCN5345.jpg

DSCN5341.jpg

DSCN5339.jpg

DSCN5348.jpg

2xM3

You wanna borrow my ECU? My alpha n is in Germany for the upgrade.

Ray

continuity checked to the ATS. looking for the values of resistance it should be at different temps but have not found yet so i can check it. the ATS was new 1500 miles ago.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.