• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

thanks for offer...maybe. checking locally. may send mine down to http://bimmerecu.com/ in florida. probably would not hurt to have it fully tested anyway before further mods and new chip. it is a 25year old piece of electronics that has been in and out of at least three cars...

found the resistance value for the ATS....2.5k ohm at 20c. mine is in that ballpark.

2xM3

A post from S14power fyi, in case you've not read it...

"Rich running traced to A/N air temp plug

For reference to anyone having unexplained rich running, check all your plugs - nothing goes wrong by itself!

For the last few days the car was running very rich and I couldn't work out why. Light cruise was 13.2 AFR and not stable, when it should have been 14.7 (I know my car). Cold start showed 'Rich' on my Techedge WB02 gauge (never does that) and during light acceleration AFR's were down to 11.8 to 12.4. Something was very wrong.

First thought Baro sensor (disconnected that, no difference), then blue DME coolant sensor (disconnect, revs' rose so ok), ICV ok, cap and rotor arm ok, fuel pressure ok and stable. So it had to be something else causing rich running - too much fuel or unburned fuel (poor spark?) in exhaust pipe. I traced the fault to a 2 pin plug on the A/N harness where one of the female pins had been pushed back into the plug which connects to the Air intake sensor. I pushed it back, it clicked into position and the engine runs perfect again.

I cleaned the car the other day and cleaned the engine bay too, lifting all the wiring harnesses to put some polish on the paint (its good to be thorough once in a while...) In doing so I must have pulled the A/N harness where it goes to temp sensor on the front snorkel as I've just discovered one of the pins was pulled back through the plug and making a poor connection to the sensor. My fault entirely.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Dave."

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

thanks...had that thread saved...:-)

i did pull the connector, checked the pins and checked the connectivity from that connector, to the harness connector, and to the ECU.

the thing starts, then you can watch the AFR going down and the AN trying desparately to compensate by trimming fuel until it hits its compensation limit. AFR then drops below 10 and car stalls. messing with the map did not have enough scope to fix.

something is telling the injectors to keep dumping fuel into the intake.

have a long email exhange ongoing with John at MAXX trying to narrow down the issue.

2xM3

• 4 weeks later...

finally got back to the M2 after e30 and lift install distraction...

ECU is at Programma for repair, so I started to take the Diff apart to fix the slop in output shaft.

2012-01-02_13-25-16_692.jpg

feels like the left output bearing is a tad worn. will need to order up some new bearings and try to figure out how to get the inner races off the LSD spool.

to save someone else a search, i found this good "how to" on 320is diff rebuild on bimmerforums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1592551&highlight=320+diff+rebuild

I will save you the post Ray...or i could just get a new 4.10.....;-)

2xM3

Whaaat? ;-)

I think my 02 sensor is lagging. Ordered a new one.

I may re-flow the ecu solder joints. Did Programa inform you if there was a problem found?

Cheers,

Ray

finally got back to the M2 after e30 and lift install distraction...

ECU is at Programma for repair, so I started to take the Diff apart to fix the slop in output shaft.

2012-01-02_13-25-16_692.jpg

feels like the left output bearing is a tad worn. will need to order up some new bearings and try to figure out how to get the inner races off the LSD spool.

to save someone else a search, i found this good "how to" on 320is diff rebuild on bimmerforums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1592551&highlight=320+diff+rebuild

I will save you the post Ray...or i could just get a new 4.10.....;-)

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

So this rich idle issue has been driving me nuts. Keep hacking away at it, literally.

Have narrowed the issue to the fact that the TPS reading in the AN software would not go below 15% at idle. This meant that although the idle circuit in the ECU is “on”, the TPS reading put the fuel map used up into the next mapping cell..which adds more fuel since it is set up for “off idle” in that cell. Hmmm.

The non-stock TPS used for AN does not allow any adjustment due to interference with the fuel pressure regulator and a metal outcropping on the TB. Some clearancing was in order.

DSCN5388.jpg

On the connector

DSCN5387.jpg

And on the TB

DSCN5386.jpg

End result was a little room for movement, but alas, no effect on the issue.

DSCN5389.jpg

Got the ECU back from ProGrama…all tests showed it was fine, but had them reflow all the solder joints anyway. Bummer…was hoping the issue was the ECU. Put it back in.

DSCN5393.jpg

Today Jim and I went through all the connections from the ECU to AN to TPS and to the Traqmate data acquisition module. All seemed well. Hmmm.

DSCN5391.jpg

Plugged it all back together booted up the computer….hmmm…..we have an AN “green” TPS idle light! And a 12.9% idle TPS reading! That is what it is supposed to be! Turn the key and crossed fingers. Car ran fine. Idled perfectly AFR exactly where it was supposed to be. I am happy it is working again, but no idea what we jostled or “fixed”. That disturbs me a bit, but…

DSCN5390.jpg

On to next project…working on those diff bearings.

Bearing outer races easy. Took only light tapping from the outside with screw driver and hammer popped them out.

DSCN5395.jpg

Right side inner race came out easy with heat and a two jaw puller.

DSCN5396.jpg

Left side….not so easy. Cut the cage off with dremmel

DSCN5398.jpg

DSCN5399.jpg

DSCN5400.jpg

DSCN5401.jpg

Tried three jaw puller and heat to no avail. There was just not enough lip on the race for the puller to get a good grab on.

Resorted to ugly but effective. Ground slice in race with dremmel and used chisel to split the race. Came right off.

DSCN5402.jpg

Got the new bearings on no problem using old races or sockets to tap them on with hammer.

DSCN5403.jpg

Will put rest of it back together tomorrow.

2xM3

4.10? ;-)

Bravo!

I think the issue is probably in the TPS plug, or TPS itself. Happy that it's resolved.

I've got a high idle issue, but it's smoother than it was so I haven't done much with it.

The E24 brakelight switch decided to pack it in last Thursday I think. Heh.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

i am thinking issue may be wiring harness near ecu. i have two basically new TPS's and they both test out fine and identically. odd thing is if it was a wiring problem in the TPS/Baro circuit, it only seemed to affect the bottom of the TP range. upper range seemed fine. that almost points to issue in AN module. may actually take the car out for a drive today......then start taking the cams out. ;-)

mumble...mumble...4.10...

2xM3

More diff assembly today.

Outer side cover with new oil seal and bearing race

DSCN5404.jpg

Inner bearing in on right side

DSCN5405.jpg

The put it all together to see how it fit. Now comes the tricky part. Remember those shims under the rim of the side covers? They set the output bearing load and the lash on the ring and pinion. Available from bmw in 0.05mm increments. Mine were 1.65mm on each side according to my digital calipers. I hope that is accurate…

Anyway, with the new bearings, the existing shims were way off. lots of slop in the r&p and in the LSD. Removed the shims and put it all back together. adjusted the cover bolts until the lash felt ok (using left side cover) and the LSD carrier was good (right side cover). Measured gap with feeler gauge.

DSCN5406.jpg

DSCN5407.jpg

Final measurements. Any experts out there think I missed something in this process? I have not messed with diff internals before….

DSCN5408.jpg

Will have to add some new shims to next BLUNT order…

Then…the reward…..put the airbox back on the M2. Rechecked the idle settings……AND WENT FOR A DRIVE!

35 minutes of grinning from ear to ear…..runs great! Reminded me how un-street friendly this car is….loud, stiff, rattles, twitchy. I can’t wait for track season to start!

Ok..time to start taking top of S14 apart to put the new cams in. oh boy.

2xM3

Mine is like that too -- except for the stiff, rattles twitchy part. ;-)

Can't wait to drive it to work again tomorrow!

;-)

Ray

35 minutes of grinning from ear to ear…..runs great! Reminded me how un-street friendly this car is….loud, stiff, rattles, twitchy. I can’t wait for track season to start!

Ok..time to start taking top of S14 apart to put the new cams in. oh boy.

Ray

Yesterday was the drudgery of fixing the e30 daily driver (rebuild cv joints in left halfshaft, R&R diff). while I had the spare e30 LSD out found the comparison between it and an e21/2002 diff interesting. E21 diff looks like a toy!

DSCN5411.jpg

Then…started the S14 cams swap project..

Hmmm, gotta remember where the plug wires go…

DSCN5412.jpg

Valve cover off.

DSCN5413.jpg

Rear cam box cover off. have had oil leak here since day one. there was no gasket on it and the sealant they used was not everywhere. Notice shiny metal on corner…that is where leak was.

DSCN5415.jpg

Next got it to TDC

“E” is not for exhaust….german for intake!

DSCN5417.jpg

DSCN5418.jpg

Pointer lined up with OT mark on pulley

DSCN5423.jpg

Upper chain guide off

DSCN5425.jpg

Dizzy cap off

DSCN5424.jpg

Dizzy housing off and cam end cover off.

DSCN5429.jpg

To be continued….

2xM3

A before/after dyno comparison might be interesting. Ah, you do have that traqmate thingy. That will be worth a look.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Timing chain tensioner out…the old style

DSCN5432.jpg

Bending bolt lockplates

DSCN5434.jpg

Carefully removing cam gear bolts. Notice paper towel to keep them from dropping in the engine. Yikes.

DSCN5436.jpg

Cam gear off. zip ties used to keep chain/gear relation set.

DSCN5437.jpg

Removing cam bearing caps. Backing off nuts quarter turn at a time one by one from front to back.

DSCN5438.jpg

Caps off

DSCN5439.jpg

Inside of bearing caps

DSCN5440.jpg

Stock cam out

DSCN5441.jpg

Comparison between lobes on stock and schrick

DSCN5444.jpg

DSCN5445.jpg

Lash cap/shim removed, just because.

DSCN5442.jpg

DSCN5443.jpg

More later…

2xM3

Covered the first cam with assembly lube and dropped it in.

DSCN5446.jpg

Torqued it down

DSCN5447.jpg

Jim came over and we then rolled the engine over slowly by hand hoping we did not feel valves hitting piston tops….all smooth.

Then repeated process for intake cam. Cam lubed and dropped in.

DSCN5448.jpg

Bearing caps on

DSCN5450.jpg

Lock plates on cam gear ready for bending

DSCN5451.jpg

Gears on

DSCN5453.jpg

Both cams in

DSCN5452.jpg

Rolled engine over again to check for any feeling of contact. None. No idea what the actual piston to valve clearance is, but it ain’t zero..

Then checked valve clearances. Spec is .010in. all close. #1 exhaust may be a bit low, will get some thinner shims.

DSCN5456.jpg

Need to now order new timing chain tensioner and oil seal for dizzy housing, then assemble rest of parts.

2xM3