• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

In my best Python Black Knight voice....Its only a flesh wound!!!!

think debris got in the clutch and caused hat to intersect bellhousing at about 7k RPM.  i wish it was just a strap like yours!   245 trans case destroyed.  no tunnel damage.  it was a CM Stage2 clutch.  friction disk still looks new despite 8k mostly track miles.

it was last planned track day for the year, in that car.  sourcing parts for the winter rehab!

20210917_133139.jpg

20210913_154400.jpg

Edited by M2M3
  • Sad 1

2xM3

46 minutes ago, M2M3 said:

think debris got in the clutch and caused hat to intersect bellhousing at about 7k RPM.  i wish it was just a strap like yours!   245 trans case destroyed.  no tunnel damage.  it was a CM Stage2 clutch.  friction disk still looks new despite 8k mostly track miles.

Ouch.

What type of clutch disc was that running? (Friction material? Spring hub?)

M3 clutch barely clears the 245 bellhousing.  anything that gets in there could cause an issue.  when a 245 is modified for the S14 speed sesnors, a little space is created that the stock 2002 inspection plate does not cover.  when the s14 is used with the 265 trans as in the e30, there is a cover plate that closes the opening off.  

• Thanks 1

2xM3

Marshall,

CR my friend and never look back.

I used the 02 plate cover at one time and now use the E30 318 cover. They both need some massaging buy either will work, at least they did for me. The E30 cover hits my r&p mount but have dremel and will clearance.

Sucks that something got in there. That hurts! 

Mie

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

• 1 month later...

Youch!  I'm late to the party Marshal.  Sad to hear such a comprehensive failure.  I had a clutch disc explode  going into turn 6 at Watkins Glen a few years ago.  Lots of pieces inside the case afterword, but fortunately no parts were launched through the transmission case like yours.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

it did make a pretty solid mess!  it is giving me a chance to clean the engine and bay though!

"hanging in there"..:-)

LOL...the front suspension is so stiff the nose of the car hardly rises at all with engine and trans removed....

hanging_engine.jpg

• Like 1

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, M2M3 said:

that is the plan!  already have the casters...:-)

If you increase the negative camber also, the stand will turn in better.

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 months later...

mid winter update time....on track to having it ready to go back.....on track....in march.

Big thanks to Ben Thongsai to modifying my spare G245 to work with the S14.  Sensor mounts welded in and bellhousing clearanced for the S14 flywheel.  trans being test fit here.  amazing how easy it is to slide a trans on and off when you have the trans jack perfectly aligned to the engine...after having it on and off a dozen times.  just doesn't fit like this under the car!

20220123_143600.jpg

20220123_143341.jpg

20220123_143302.jpg

• Like 1

2xM3

new clutch is Clutchmasters FX250.  old clutch was Clutchmasters "Stage 3".   Both use a modified Sachs pressure plate.  old clutch used puck style friction surface on both sides.  really a race clutch.  FX250 i am trying has that on one side, and the other is a more street like surface.  pics of both sides.  new one on left.

20220123_171801.jpg
20220123_171742.jpg

• Like 1

2xM3