• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on gas tanks & naming cars

fenstermaker

I'm dreading the restoration of my gas tank. It's rusted at the seal in the usual spot. It had a light drip when I first received the car but when I pulled the tank and tipped it with that area pointing down, the drip came close to a stream.

There's definitely rust in there - one of the first things I did was replace the fuel filter. My neighbor called it the dirtiest one he'd ever seen.

Is it worth restoring the tank or would you recommend picking up a used one? Anyone have a similar experience? If so, what did you do? I know restoring it will probably be a nasty, dirty job and I'm not looking forward to it.

So, if anyone in the Seattle area has a spare they're willing to part with or know of a good place to find a spare that's not too spendy, I'd be eternally grateful (preferably Seattle proper, Eastside or North). I'm in Mount Vernon.

Here are some pics of the tank before I yanked it from the car...

fuel-tank-resto-1-initial-sm.jpg

fuel-tank-resto-2-initial-sm.jpg

fuel-tank-resto-3-initial-sm.jpg

fuel-tank-resto-4-initial-sm.jpg

As you can see, it's pretty wet down there. Took a few weeks to air out the trunk, and since there weren't any rear speakers that odor seeped into the interior with ease. Good times.

Side note, I've been contemplating a name for my 1600. How did you arrive at yours? For me, it either has to be a German woman's name from the 60s/70s or something evil. Woman's name: because the previous owner made me promise to keep a pair of vintage 60s bifocals with the car even if I sold it - he believed they were lost by the original owner. Evil: the license place begins with 666.

The comic in me thinks Magdalene might have to be the one... Thoughts?

Andy F.

'74 2002 Automatic

'79 El Camino

'07 Nissan Versa

Mount Vernon, WA

I know someone parting a car. Email me and I'll give ya his name and number!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Hey, as long as you have a story, you're good on the naming.

Mine:

I've always wanted my daughter's name to be Ryan. I'm just guessing that my future wife, whoever the hell ends up being patient enough to end up with that title, is never going to let that fly. So, in accordance, the '02 is called Ryan. In the strong but feminine sense.

Good luck with the tank!

'73 2002tii Fjord

'02 M3 Convertible Jet Back/ Imola

Names. I have always named my cars. There's Sadie and Bennie, the Mercedes'; Butzi and Stu, the Porsches; Fritz, Dieter and Gert, the BMWs and then there's old Buzz, the Ford Ranger.

Yes, I have a serious car Jones.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

John - email sent.

@roadhog0, I may have to hit you up for that later. Got a few items I'll need eventually - center console in particular, possibly passenger door and fender, maybe the rear body panel. Not ready to go all out quite yet. :)

All - thanks for the name thoughts. I never had a car I felt was worthy of a name until now, so it's all new to me.

Andy

Andy F.

'74 2002 Automatic

'79 El Camino

'07 Nissan Versa

Mount Vernon, WA

At one time I called my car the shitwagon. There was another word infront of that at one time or another.

That title doesn't fit anymore.

Anna calls it Daddy's orange car. I told her it was a BMW and she acted like I was kidding her.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• Administrators

Hmm, names. Not sure about evil German women names. Hmm, maybe Eva?

My 2002 is Red Oktober. Current truck is Big Red, The old truck was Old Yeller. The 318 was the Frankenbimmer. I think the z3 coupe was just known as the clown shoe. Oh ya, and the trailer is known as the Kremlin.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

I followed Mike Self's lead in using a male German name. I liked the name Dieter. He'd already named his 3 BMW's Wolfgang, Johannes, & Ludwig. I've got a good name I want to use on my next BMW, but I won't say right now since I don't want anyone to nab that monniker.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

My cars always end up with names, but depending on how much personality the car has it can take a long time for a suitable name to come up. Try a few out and see what sticks. These days I run a short-list past my 4 year old and see which one he likes best.

Bruce

'75 2002 - Fjord

@roadhog0, I may have to hit you up for that later. Got a few items I'll need eventually - center console in particular, possibly passenger door and fender, maybe the rear body panel. Not ready to go all out quite yet. :)

Andy

You only have to buy the tank this time. You dont have to buy a bunch of parts at once. I didnt :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2