• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on gas tanks & naming cars

fenstermaker

My 4 year old named mine. It's a Amazonsgrun 74tii with no smog control, so the exhaust smells. She took one ride in it and dub'd it "Stinky Green." It stuck.

Im just glad she didn't really look the car, otherwise the name would be "Stinky rusty creaky noisy green."

Cameron

1974 2002tii

@Niterider - Wow! Another Mount Vernon owner! Will definitely keep you in mind as I am a total newbie when it comes to cars and this one has a laundry list of needs...

- rust and light body damage repair

- clutch lube

- e-brake tightening

- shifter's loose

Got me a big project, I do!

Andy F.

'74 2002 Automatic

'79 El Camino

'07 Nissan Versa

Mount Vernon, WA

I started off calling mine Booger cause it was green on the outside, brown on the inside.... but then the wife didn't like it so we named him Fred....... because of the rust hole on the floor pan where you could put your foot through the floor and touch the pavement.....Flintstone's style.... hence Fred.

1973 2002 tii Agave

I had to name my cars out of necessity but did not have rules. For the most part, my kids pick the names. For some reason, names seem to conjure up a certain character.

There are names like Herb, (from Herbie) Henry (a classy distinguished tii) Tatiana (the bitch) Sam, (nice predictable and reliable but plain 2002) Ross (rambunctious, a littke loud, sharp handling 318is) Bestsy, (old reliable E30 325e) Missy, (sleathy yet classy E36 M3 4-door stick) Sahara, (obvious reasons) Sahara 2 (which was white but was born Sahara), Phil, (license plate 356 PHL) Fiona (because she's green) Thomas (blue like the tank engine) Bailey, (E30 325i) Quazi (a 318ti hatchback or hunchback) and so on.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

@AsbestosIcan Don't kill me - I'm a newbie when it comes to cars so I'm not really sure what part you're talking about (or what it does).

Other than the gas tank, sticky clutch and a few missing bolts (one holding the shifter and a loose one on the e-brake), she appears mechanically sound. Just a bit of an eyesore at the moment.

Magdalene is growing on me. Fits (sarcastically/ironically) the license plate that begins with 666 (I'm not superstitious or religious). And it fits the "found" item by the previous owner:

magdalenes-bifocals.jpg

Andy F.

'74 2002 Automatic

'79 El Camino

'07 Nissan Versa

Mount Vernon, WA

Was going to add... Lots of names seem related to colors. Mine is about 4 shades of Manila.

The second option is "lucky" (requiring a sex change to the masculine for the car). My friend from Thailand says 666 means luck in her culture.

Andy F.

'74 2002 Automatic

'79 El Camino

'07 Nissan Versa

Mount Vernon, WA

sorry for the overload! I just had a wild hair to get these things outta my shed. but i may have them for a while I hate throwing things like this away sounds like you are getting on top of the tank situation I know about the newbie thing we were all new once. you`ll be so rewarded working on an old cool car with great pride and joy. now on names on my first one a sahara 70 "Beer Miester Wagon" as you could fit 2 kegs of beer in the trunk on friday nite .My second I named " Green Gumby" which was a 76mint green . Good to hear you have lots of help up there.you definitely want to hit up john1180 for that tank that is a great deal

Yeah! I'm supposed to head down on Saturday. Should be good times.

Outside of the tank, what I really need are jack stands. I hear there's a great place to pick up tools and such in Everett so I'm planning to swing by there on my trip home.

Also REALLY need new front seats. Hoping I can find some in an Acura locally and use those until I have time to re-upholster and re-cover the originals.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement! I'm sure the FAQ will be a major source of information, parts and even sympathy as I go through the stages of restoration.

-Andy

Andy F.

'74 2002 Automatic

'79 El Camino

'07 Nissan Versa

Mount Vernon, WA