• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Tii's ($22k and $29k)

markmac

Nope, no Porsche thread, I do like them though (356's as well as 911's). My wife had the gaul to suggest that I finish the ALPINA car, sell it and buy an early 911 (she likes em as well). Maybe some day. Back to 02's, so here you have an other fleabay "tii", interior looks decent, but then reading the description about the no rust or rot but the floor pans have been re-done, then seeing some of the pics with bubbling paint, overspray everywhere. Not trying to throw this guy's car under the bus, illustrates the point of a $500-$2000 car and a $25k car. Granatrot, interesting color...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-2002tii-1974-BMW-2002tii-2002-tii-Restored-and-FAST-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ200506682570QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Nope, no Porsche thread, I do like them though (356's as well as 911's). My wife had the gaul to suggest that I finish the ALPINA car, sell it and buy an early 911 (she likes em as well). Maybe some day. Back to 02's, so here you have an other fleabay "tii", interior looks decent, but then reading the description about the no rust or rot but the floor pans have been re-done, then seeing some of the pics with bubbling paint, overspray everywhere. Not trying to throw this guy's car under the bus, illustrates the point of a $500-$2000 car and a $25k car. Granatrot, interesting color...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-2002tii-1974-BMW-2002tii-2002-tii-Restored-and-FAST-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ200506682570QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Well, I'm sorta with your wife: I say finish the Alpina car, then drive the SNOT out of it!

Another thing I just thought about: a 2002 (or probably any BMW)........the car is ALWAYS on your side and keeping you out of trouble. The 356 and 911 are very unforgiving of any rookie mistakes. I remember having to make a very sudden and violent evasive maneuver, several years ago, in my 02, in order to avoid a head-on collision at a good rate of speed. The same maneuver in any of my 356s would have required me to make EXACTLY the correct control inputs in order to get all four wheels back on the pavement, and moving in the right direction. With my trusty Bimmer, the issue was never in doubt.

One of the main reasons I love my 356 is that it demands that I do everything just right. In the 356, if you don't do everything just right, the car will tell everyone around that you are a putz. So, I find the car very satisfying to drive, at speed, on winding, plunging, back roads. I love the challenge. The 02, on the other hand, is ALWAYS a loyal and trustworthy friend. It'll do some amazing things on those same, delightful, back roads......but it won't try to kill me if I make a wrong move (like lifting my right foot, for an instant, at the wrong moment).

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

Well the $500 car is a square tail car, has the tii pump removed, if it ever had one, has a snorkel nose, and a lot of other issues, not to mention the worst "$7000" paint job I have seen yet. It doesn't compare to the $29K car at all. One is a fun driver and the other is a show car. I will be happy with the in-between, a 72tii, with a proper tii motor, a nice interior, decent paint job, and shiny trim for under $8K. That would be my tii, Moes.

Matt Haynes

72 Malaga 2002tii - Moes

81 Toyota Supra - Cellie

91 Alpinewies 325iC - Ilsa

07 Titansilber 530xi Sport Wagon

This is the nature of the beast. Best buy what you can while you can. I, for one, am glad to see the price moving up higher and higher. These cars deserve to be in the ranks of the other european cars of this era.

Back in the day i used to flip antique clocks. I joined the clock assc just to gain more knowledge. EVERYONE in the assc bitched about prices of antique clocks going up but they sure enjoyed it at selling time.

The point is these cars should never be chopped up, beaten, crushed etc. They are moving into their rightful place in automotive history with a sticker price to support that position. This car put BMW on the map

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Saw this in RM Auctions upcoming catalogue for the Monterey Auction this week ('74tii), when 2002tii's are making it into that auction they are gaining ground I think (estimated sales price they suggest $15k - 25k). Will be interstint to see what it goes for. By the way, Cudo's to RM for the coolest online catalogue I have seen in a while.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/55b81963#/55b81963/274

Interesting points, everyone. And that auction catalog IS really cool.

It has been sort of odd over the years, seeing the 02 going from a "nice used car" when I first drove in them in the early '80s, to whatever it is today - a classic, a near-classic, collectible, whatever the correct label is.

It always had the cult (almost from Day 1, it appears), and judging by all of us, it will continue to have that cult for a while.

The one positive about the prices maybe moving up for me, is that it is a little easier for me to rationalize spending money on the car. 15 years ago, contemplating a re-paint was purely a vanity project - I just want my car to look better. There was no other way to rationalize it. Now, it feels like a different decision to a certain degree. "If I had to sell it, maybe I would get some of the investment in a repaint back..."

I guess it's like buying a cool house in a neighborhood before it gentrifies. Once everyone else's house is fixed up, and the neighborhood prices go up, you start to think differently about fixing your house up - it feels more like an "investment" and less like "spending money".

So that's one positive for me re the 02 potentially becoming more valuable.

Overall, the really exceptional cars (tiis, turbos, rare colors, totally original cars w/super low miles, or any combo of those things) will have the best chance of going up significantly. The rest will go up at a much slower pace...maybe they will out-strip inflation, maybe not, or maybe by a little.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI