• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

there's no such thing as "Tii alloys"

osbourne

So far as I know, all the US squarelights came with 5jx13 slotted steel wheels--both carbureted and tii. It was only the roundies that differentiated between carbureted (4.5" wide) and tii (5" wide) plain steel wheels with wheel covers.

The early style alloys were either factory installed if the car was so ordered or they were dealer installed if the purchaser wanted them. I know they couldn't be ordered in 1969, as I have a letter from Hoffman Motors listing available options dated Dec 68 and alloy wheels aren't mentioned.

Does anyone know if those early style alloys were available on Euro ti's? The carbureted ti's were discontinued when the tii's came out in '71...just wondering if the alloys would be correct for pre-1971 cars. I have a factory accessory catalog from about 1970 or so that doesn't show the wheels, and my Euro sales lit that shows ti's doesn't show a car with 'em...

Anyone know for sure?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 5 years later...

I usually call them "early alloys" -- here is a picture of them on my 71 1600 that I believe had them since being purchased new in the Philly area in August 1971. Also fitted were factory mudflaps and a VDO tach near where the tii clock would live (dated 1970 inside)

BMW Calls both versions early and late "LIGHT ALLOY RIM"

34i4eie.jpg

Does anybody know the size of the hub caps (#4 in the pic) for these non-tii tii alloys?

What about the size of the hub bore as well?

Thanks, John 

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

John,

I don't have an early OEM alloy rim around presently to measure, but I believe the center caps you're selling are Item #4 above, and not Borrani or Alpina steelie center caps!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I guess I've always thought of them as the "early alloys" to differentiate from the "late alloys".  

To make it more confusing, you can buy new "early alloys" that are reproductions of the early alloy, even though up close they look different from an "old" early alloy.  The old ones have a sand cast kind of finish to them, and the new ones have a finish like a modern alloy wheel.  I believe there are other little differences as well (some of the markings iirc).

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI