• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 piece magnesium Alpina wheels

rey949

I have a set of Alpina magnesium centers for the Alpina 3 Piece Wheels.

Here are some pictures of one of them. Total diameter of the centers are 14.25 inches. How do I source the rims, seals and bolts for these. Can I use a BBS setup or do I have to have these manufactured? ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

post-18159-13667629418072_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667629418439_thumb.jpg

post-18159-1366762941881_thumb.jpg

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

those are nice!. CD is right, you can call BBS to help you spec out the rims or perhaps these guys below can help you build them to your spec. Let me know if you decide to sell those. Good luck.

http://www.jongbloedracing.com/

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

BBS inner and outer's will work, you also need the O-Ring "Dichtring" plus wheel stud kit.

I have no idea what the BBS stuff goes for now price wise (but it won't be cheap), several hundred at a minimum each wheel I should think. I want to remember that the hardware kits alone were like $75 each ( I could be wrong though). Each half I have to say will probably exceed $100 (or more). Call Roger Kraus Racing in San Leandro (ask for Roger). They were the ones that got me the correct hardware (has to be measured depending on the rim application/thickness) and since mine were flat rims did all the tire / wheel assembly which with the flat rim can't be mounted with a tire machine. If this is a street application then you can get half rims of the type that do not require hand assembly (accomodate the bead). Very hard to come by those wheel centers anymore. If you plan on using them (which it sounds like you are), you should have them crack tested as well. Good Luck.

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/search/label/ALPINA%20Racing%20Wheels

Thanks for all the great replies!

One more question, does anyone know what would be the appropriate vehicle for these.

Would these be a period correct application for a late '60's racer, or more for a early to mid '70's?

I have a 1967 1600Ti i am thinking of putting these on. Mainly for a street car. Not a daily driver, but a weeekend and every so often drive for fun car or a weekend trip car.

The car has the Alpina "bubble flares" front and back. I think I could fit 9 inches in the rear and 8 inches in the front. I also include some pics on the thickness. They would defintely fit a 1600 or 2002 front brake setup.

I have a set of those 3 piece bbs E30s 13 by 6 inch and they are FLAT FLAT centers. Need spacers to make them fit the front.

these Alpinas look as if they were made to clear a big brake setup...

Check the pics, let me know your addtional thoughts on the offset etc.. and width.

I measured the center "back" of the wheel (Protruding part), not sure what the nomeclature for that is, But the measurement is right at 5/8 in. the thickness of the center wheel is 13/16 in.

Thanks in advance for the great feedback!

post-18548-13667629456762_thumb.jpg

post-18548-13667629456978_thumb.jpg

post-18548-13667629457308_thumb.jpg

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Can't say on the wheel size with bubble flares, some of those flare sets are made differently (some wider than others), I would say 9" would be max on the back. I have seen 7x15 alpinas on the bubble flares before and they looked pretty tight. Too bad your not closer to RKR, you could bring your car in and they would be able to figure it out for you (first time, no guessing). No problem with brakes. ALPINA was the first team in 1974 running 2002's (GS ran 14" BBS wheels and Schnitzer ran 13" wheels) to go to the 15" wheel same center as yours (same wheel(s) as mine in order to get bigger brakes inside the wheel, in my case 28mm x 300mm with AP Lockheed 4 piston race calipers, so you should be able to put just about whatever you want on for brakes (almost). Good luck with your project.

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/

Bitchen center sections! Trying to find tires for wiiiiide 14s will be a challenge, but do-able, maybe check the European markets. Try this BBS-Germany site (parts section). The prices will make your head spin, but the USA BBS folks should be able to get anything you need even if they have to get it from the Germans.

http://www.bbs-racing-wheels.com/seiten/framee.htm

Have fun! Those would look awesomely-smokin' on a pig cheek body!

Mike

74 2002

• 10 years later...

I know this an old thread, but I just bought three 14" Alpina wheel centers from Germany which look just like the ones in Rey's original post.

@markmac @rey949 Do you happen to know how much your 14" wheel centers weigh?

I'm trying to confirm that mine are magnesium. Only one seems to have little corrosion blooms under the paint so maybe they're aluminum.

Thanks,

Michael

The 13" and 14" three piece Alpina centers were made in both magnesium and aluminum.  15" (and 16") centers magnesium only.  I have never seen a 14" center that looks like Rey's (not to say their isn't, just haven't seen one).  Post up a pic of what you have if  you can.  No idea on the weight, mine are all assembled at the moment so no way to tell....they are light though. 

Magnesium really is not so bueno on a street car really, especially if these are of the 'vintage' variety - gets really brittle and has a tendency to crack + moisture that gets in there where you have the magnesium center, steel stud and then an aluminum rim/barrel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1