• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early steel wheels with tii calipers?

BaltoTim

I've installed a set of tii struts/rotors/calipers in the '67 1600 I'm reassembling. I've been working with the assumption that the original 13" steelies would fit over this setup. Wrong assumption, the edges of the calipers rub. Tried making cardboard spacers to test how far I could go out, and 1/4 still doesn't do it.

I don't want to go to 14" for now, because I have the wheels with new tires. I could get a set of E30 steelies, but prefer not to. I like the original hubcap look. What do you guys suggest? Filing edge of caliper? More spacer? Bite the bullet and get 13" with wider internal diameters?

thanks..

1967 1600 agave

1985 Mercedes 300D-T

I have some later (squarie) stock wheels about an hour north of Balt. I don't know if the early stock hubcaps will fit though.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,685630/#685630

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

I have a set of early hubcap friendly 73 tii steel wheels that were checked for "true-ness" and professionally painted stock silver at a body shop, not rattle cans. I was saving them for a future project but would consider selling them, no tires have been mounted and they have not been used since the refinishing. Please contact me at mobiletradition at G Mail if you would like to learn more or see some pictures.

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

The reason folks are suggesting roundie tii wheels is that the 4 1/2 inch rims on non-tii roundies won't clear the larger calipers.

If you can find 'em, the plan jane 5jx13 Opel Kadet wheels are nearly identical to the BMW wheels (same maker) and will accept the BMW small and large hubcaps. Just make sure they're 5 inch--used mostly on station wagons...I ran 'em for years until I found some early tii wheels.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite