• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New car salesmen

JackF

I'm in the market for a pick'emup truck, still. I've gone into a couple dealerships locally (Ford, GMC & Toyota). I suspect I'll end up with a Tacoma Access Cab 4x4, but an F150 is a definite maybe.

It is so weird today shopping at the dealership. I'm a salesman and I expect to be "sold" a vehicle. I'm looking for features and benefits. Comparative model to model, brand to brand. I haven't found one person able to give me what I'm looking for. You ask them a question and you pretty much get a blank stare. I had one guy tell me it wasn't important for them to know this info as I could and should (and do), get all this info on the internet and he was pretty much there to write up the deal. There have been a couple actually get kinda miffed at me for putting them in a bad spot. That is, making them look bad.

I'm going to try a new tact. I'm going to go to the service dept and ask the service mgr, which if any of his dealerships salesmen knows a damned thing. I would think that if this type behavior doesn't change then the auto dealer as we know it may as well go away. Order your car on line and take it to the "service dealership". I'm a commission sales agent and the thought of letting someone get paid for filling out the paperwork kinda drives me nuts. Am I just lucky in picking the morons? What do you see? out there?

Most are a bunch of tools. The BMW sales man never did the paperwork for my free gas card for coming in and driving a new BMW. The sales people see me drive up in my e30 get out and walk through the dealer in regular (scruffy) clothes and the ignore or give me a look that they will tolerate me being there. Right before V@V I stopped in to pick up a few little things I had ordered. I was in my work uniform. I was attacked by three sales people.

Get away from me freaks.

Maybe they should do away with car sales people.

Jack, buy the F150 or Andy's pickup.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Years ago, I was window-shopping new Toyotas & a salesman approached me. I told him what I thought the car should sell for (accurately) i.e. NOT MSRP & he got quite pissy & directed me to the used car lot since I must be unworthy or flat-broke -- clearly... F him!!!!!

Recently while trying to replace Mary's totalled station wagon, I met some DUM guys trying (badly!) to sell me a used SW. They couldn't sell icewater in the Mojave Desert. F them too!!! DOUBLE DUM.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Years ago, I was window-shopping new Toyotas & a salesman approached me. I told him what I thought the car should sell for (accurately) i.e. NOT MSRP & he got quite pissy & directed me to the used car lot since I must be unworthy or flat-broke -- clearly... F him!!!!!

Recently while trying to replace Mary's totalled station wagon, I met some DUM guys trying (badly!) to sell me a used SW. They couldn't sell icewater in the Mojave Desert. F them too!!! DOUBLE DUM.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Even if I had all the money in the world I don't think I'd ever buy a new car off the showroom floor. Even with a "perfect" knowledgeable and courteous salesperson, its just throwing a big sack of cash in the toilet once you drive it off the lot. Id rather sink that cash into something with a little class like an 02 or an e39 or an e30 or an e28 (or or or...)

I'm one of those people that don't want to be sold to, I love the sales guy that is only there to get keys for a test drive and write up papers when I pick. When I walk into a dealership I have all my research done already, including the price I am willing to pay. I know what you mean though, Most sales guys I have encountered while doing my car shopping recently have barely been able to tell the difference between trim packages.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

I went to the BMW dealership in my 2002 and walked around the showroom and did they ever look at me funny. Went to the parts desk to get some parts I order, that was SLOW. Got the parts and they almost wrote me off when I told em I needed to pick up 320i parts. I had more luck at the Chevy dealership....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I don't even think they knew they were BMWs.

That happened to me at Alexandria BMW, I told the salesman what I was driving I said a 2002tii and he asked what model. I picked up the brochure for the 1 series, opened it to the middle and said "check this out".

What model? I hear it all the time, I guess all of us do.

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Even if I had all the money in the world I don't think I'd ever buy a new car off the showroom floor. Even with a "perfect" knowledgeable and courteous salesperson, its just throwing a big sack of cash in the toilet once you drive it off the lot. Id rather sink that cash into something with a little class like an 02 or an e39 or an e30 or an e28 (or or or...)

Or something like this ?

post-16196-13667629727501_thumb.jpg

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona